Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Blow Off Tubing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Blow Off Tubing

Is 1/4" ID tube large enough to handle the blow off from a 4 gal batch in a 5 gal or 5 1/2 in a 6 1/2 gal bucket?
I often get a little ooze through an airlock with 1 1/2 gallons of headspace for a day or so.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think I use 3/8, but 1/4 should work. Keep an eye on it and switch it out if you need to. I have fermented 7 gallons in an 8 gallon bucket with a small blowoff tube with no issues. But every fermentation is different.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 75

It was suggested to me that I could increase the volume in my bucket to within a 1/2 gallon with a blow off, but, since mine is so small (upgraded my siphon hose to 1/2" ID) I'm concerned it may get plugged easily. But maybe keeping my volume to within a gallon would greatly reduce the odds of a problem.
I had been keeping at 1.5 gallons and still often get crud through the airlock.
I'm on an allowance of $70/mo for beer stuff and I have too many needs at the moment to get any more tubing.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
MrTheKing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I use 1/4" ID on one of my carboys since that was all the tubing I had around at the time - haven't had any issues thus far over a half dozen brews or so. Have one blowing off through it now, no problems. My other carboy has a 3/8" ID tube, probably overkill. I wouldn't sweat it.

Quick Reply