The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Big starter with no o2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
Droot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Big starter with no o2

I had a cube of my house ale. Starter was from washed yeast 1.2 litres for what ended up to be 3 days on the stir plate. I poured the wort through a strainer to catch the hops and trub. It splashed A LOT. I had a head of foam to the top of the fermenter. (2" or one gallon). I pitched the yeast with out o2 for the first time in a long time.

Last batch with a comparable starter, I gave it 5 minutes of o2 in the ball valve. I had yeast on top in 5 hours and full krausen in 12. It came right out the top of the keg that had 2.5 gallons of head space.

With out the o2, in 6 hours, I had foam on top. I don't know if it was from the pouring or the yeast and a 1" head on top by 14 hours. It was a little slower, but still a good start.

SO I guess what I am rambling is a stir plate seems to work as good as o2 or even better to get things going, and both together make for an even better start.

David

I learned a LOT here, Thanks

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droot View Post
SO I guess what I am rambling is a stir plate seems to work as good as o2 or even better to get things going, and both together make for an even better start.
I agree, the stir-plate will continually get oxygen into the wort as well as keep the yeast in suspension. Not something I'd want when doing the main batch of course, but wonderful for a starter. I've read a couple different papers online about using a stir-plate, you get more than double the yeast as compared to other methods if I remember right.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Droot
Recipes 

Mr Malty sez You need 1/2 as big of a starter if you use a stir plate. I see I need less than 1/2 the time.

I used to think a stir plate was a $900.00 toy. Then I bought one for forty bucks. Used it twice. Its the only electronic part of my brewery. I have used o2 for a long time. I still will.

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Quick Reply