The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Best yeast for bottling high gravity beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Chief462
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best yeast for bottling high gravity beer?

I have a barly wine OG 1.084 FG 1.012 in the secondary for 4 months and brewing a wassail est around 8-10% that i will secondary for 3.5 months. What are the best yeasts to use at bottling to help with carbonation after long secondary. I heard White labs champagne is good for this is that true. Do I direct pitch to bottling bucket or do I make another starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

People say the champagne yeast produces a dry end product. I've never used it. The longest I've ever left something in secondary is about two months and I haven't needed to put any extra yeast in there. I usually just transfer a little from the carboy into the bottling bucket. So I guess i'm actually adding some yeast (never mind). But I'm curious about your reasoning for leaving it in the carboy for so long as apposed to just bottle aging it.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use US-05. 'Bout 1/2 packet per 5 gallons. Mix it with the boiled bottling sugar/water when it cools down to ~100F. Let it sit for ~15 minutes, stir it up, dump it into the bottling bucket & rack onto it. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Preferably, you want to use the same yeast you fermented with.

@Double D, it is common to bulk age high gravity beers. Palmer and others aver that it produces better conditioning. Also, if you age in bulk, you can dry hop (if desired) just before bottling and retain some good hop aroma.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

@ bierliebhaber. I totally understand not breaking up everything in bottles immediately. I didn't mean to imply that. More specifically, is there an advantage to 3.5-4 months vs. 2? Seems like a long time to plan on have something in a carboy.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you repitch anything (which you shouldn't need to) I would only repitch the same strain as the original. What happens if the champagne yeast can ferment the beer lower than the original strain after you bottle it.

I wouldn't pitch new yeast, and if you pitch something like champagne yeast, I would do it a few days-a week before bottling!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Quick Reply