Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Best Practices for Ringwood yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
nate_ive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Best Practices for Ringwood yeast?

I picked up my first Wyeast smack pack of Ringwood yeast recently -- I haven't used it yet. I also bought a 6 pack of Shipyard Export Ale last Friday to taste and smell what characteristics the yeast will produce. It was interesting, I kind of like it.

From my reading here, The yeast does best with amply wort aeration prior to pitching, daily rousing of the yeast, and an open fermenter.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like this yeast is just sensitive to CO2 levels in the beer. An open fermenter is only different from an airlocked fermenter in that the amount of dissolved CO2 in the beer would be slightly lower(atmospheric air pressure would be the same for either fermenter -- the only difference is the additional amount of pressure needed to move the airlock liquid to allow the gas to escape.) Rousing the yeast in the fermenter is also going to cause some of the dissolved CO2 to form bubbles and leave the beer.

Are there any other tips for this yeast besides the "stay in the optimum fermentation temperature range" and "allow a few days to do a diacetyl rest"?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can't offer a ton of advice, but I have used Ringwood with good results.

I'll say this, don't taste the Shipyard Export Ale and expect a similar flavor. Alan Pugsley appearently smuggled the strain from the Ringwood brewery and claims to have the only true ringwood strain in America (I call BS on that claim). I will say this, Shipyard has a house flavor.

However, as compared to other Ringwood Breweries I've visited (Geary's, Gritty's (pubs not bottles), Cooperstown, the Ship Inn) Shipyard drops a diacetyl bomb. Appearently, Pugsley loves the character but I really find it over the top.

Geary's Pale Ale is probably a better example of what your beer could taste like. I have no idea why Shipyard brings the esters to that next level. It could be scope of the brewery, it could be temps, it could be pitching rates. Whatever the cause, the result is me reaching for the Geary's.

Good luck with it -
Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like the shipyard export ale more with every bottle. I only have one bottle from the 6 pack left. I'm looking forward to using the ringwood yeast to see what flavor it yields.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Csuho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From what I understand too is the true ringwood strain isn't what wyeast is offering. I have a pack and need to use it myself. But I was wondering if dog fish has the true strain or not since they use it also

everything tastes better with cascades - they're like the bacon of the brewing world. - Danek

Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I asked a brewer at Geary's that "true" question a few years back. He kind of rolled his eyes.

I wouldn't fret.

Joe

Old 04-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csuho View Post
From what I understand too is the true ringwood strain isn't what wyeast is offering. I have a pack and need to use it myself. But I was wondering if dog fish has the true strain or not since they use it also
I have also heard that Dogfish Head uses Ringwood. Not sure if it's true but Ringwood does make a very tasty IPA.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm brewing an AK47 Pale Mild today. I decided to use Ringwood yeast. I'm hoping the yeast makes a complex ale.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have good airlock activity this morning at 8AM, I pitched the smack pack at 2PM yesterday. The krausen head isn't large yet, but it is curdled looking. From reading all the threads about ringwood being a slow starter and ringwood yeast requires open fermentation, it seem to be start off fine for me. I really have to question the open fermentation issue -- it seems kind like hoodoo superstition since the only difference between open and "closed" fermentation is a few milliliters of water/sanitizer in the airlock. If you don't put liquid in the airlock it is open fermentation and the air pressure is the only force keeping the CO2 in solution(dissolved in the wort). With a few milliliters, in the airlock the pressure would be more but I can see it being that much more then air pressure anyway. That being said, I put just enough sanitizer in the airlock to allow it to bubble. I guess I'm not immune to hoodoo superstition --- until I get a few more ringwood batches under my belt that is.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The krausen is building and the airlock is passing 3-4 bubbles per second in rapid-fire bursts!!! This is a low gravity beer(1.040 -- recipe stated 1.036, I achieved better efficiency!!) and I'm shooting for a quick turn around like Ringwood is known for. I'm hoping to bottle next Saturday.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Open fermentation does make a noticeable difference in ester production I don't have my reference books handy but there are concrete numbers in Brewing with Wheat.

Quick Reply