Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Best fermentation temp for ales

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
HellBentBrewCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Best fermentation temp for ales

Ive been reading a lot about germ temps and I've yet to find a consensus on what the beat temp for an ale is. I usually try to ferment around 65 but my basement is now at 60. Is this going to cause me problems

Hell-Bent Brew Co. on Facebook
Hell-Bent Brew Co. Gear Shirts, Steins and other awesome stuff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
HSB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There's no consensus because there are too many variables. Ale is a broad base of drink to pigeon hole into one specific "correct" ferment temperature. It is very yeast/style/flavor profile desire dependent.

So what do you like to make, what yeast are you using, and what is your desire as far as ester profile?

I tend to ferment at 60*, but I also tend to make pale ales with S05 and want as clean a profile as possible.

(Side note, if you are brewing with no temp control system, and your basement ambiant temp is 60*, I wouldn't be surprised if the heat caused by the yeast themselves raises your fermentation temp to close to 65*)

Old 11-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

All of the yeast manufacturer's list the optimum temperatures of each strain on their website.

Some strains are fine at 57-59 degrees, while others need to be a bit warmer. I've made lager-like beers with pacman at 60, nottingham at 59, and alts and kolschs in the high 50s.

Remember that it's the actual fermentation temperature that's important- not room temperature. In a warm room in the the summer, I've seen the fermenting beer be 10 degrees warmer than ambient! Usually, a cool ferment will only be a degree or two warmer, sometimes three, than the ambient. If you get a stick-on thermometer for the fermenter, that's pretty close to fermentation temperature.

I have a cooler that I use to keep my ales cool enough in the summer. I put the fermenter in a water bath, and cycle frozen water bottles in it to keep the desired temperature. I do sort of the same thing in the winter, but this time it's with an aquarium heater in the water bath. It was cheap (under $10) and I can keep my fermenting beer at 70 degrees if I want, with that aquarium heater in the water bath. (There are pictures in my gallery if you want to wade through 100 other pictures first!).

Quick Reply