Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Berliner Wiesse questions....first time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Hellfire_studios
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Berliner Wiesse questions....first time

So I brewed a berliner wiesse yesterday. followed Jamil's recipe from brewing classic styles. Mashed at 147 and let it sit 4 hours (I know some people let the mash sour so I just let it sit a little longer than I usually would). 15 minute boil. 50/50 wheat and pils. 1 oz of hallatau at 15 min. pretty simple recipe. OG was 1.028

Did not use a yeast culture at all at my LHBS's recommendation. Just pitched the wyeast 5338 Lacto culture. Pitched at 80 degrees. I am not seeing any activity so far (been in the fermenter about 16 hours) and was just wondering what should I be expecting with this Lacto bug. First sour beer and just kind of want to know what I should be looking forward to happening with it. I searched but didn't really find what I needed. Any help would be very good!!

Thanks,
Josh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

You'll still need a strain of sacc. in there. Lacto ferments make lactic acid out of sugar. Your mash wouldn't have had time to sour if it only sat four hours. Lacto is happier in the 100 degree range so at 80 it's going to be much more sluggish and it will take weeks to get sour.

For what it's worth, a traditional berliner weisse is a mash hopped no boil recipe. Counting on most of the bacteria to be killed off during the mashing process. I've read somewhere there's a decoction in there somewhere but I can't remember. The beer would sour during fermentation because some lacto would survive through the mash.

But a much easier way would be to let 30% of your grist (mashed as usual and inoculated with 1/2 to 1 cup of raw grain depenting on batch size) go sour for about 48 hours and then mash the rest on brew day. Sparge with your "lacto starter" and boil for 15 min. Then you have a clean beer and it's sour. And complies with the reinhietsgebot.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
TimT
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Warm it up, taste it every day and once it is decently sour pitch some yeast to finish it off.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Hellfire_studios
Recipes 

Which strain should I pitch? Am I looking for a pellical (sp?) to form. Right now there is no action at all. I was not really looking for the mash to be soured after that short amount of time I just had some other things going on and figured at such a low mash temp it would be fine to let it sit while I did something else. Thanks for the advice. Just new to these bugs!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you want a pellicle lacto will do that eventually. I used a german ale yeast from white labs in mine. But a little brett character isn't outside if the style

Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Hellfire_studios
Recipes 

Mine has only been in the fermenter for about a day now but shouldn't I be seeing some kind of movement in the airlock? It is not doing anything....and going on what TimT said should I be tasting it every day to check the sourness? should I be doing that after the airlock starts moving? I will try the german ale yeast double_D thanks!! I don't really need to see a pellicle but was more or less just wondering what I should be looking out for to see that it is working. I moved it to the garage where it is about 98 degrees right now. Had it inside at about 75 so I figured that would help alot.

Double_D I will be trying your sour mash approach next time for sure!!

Josh

Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I don't really understand warming it up. I'd pitch some yeast and then let it go. It will sour eventually.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
TimT
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Warming it up will get the bacteria to the place where they will do what they do best, they are happy and work hard at ~20F higher than yeast. It will be done a lot faster if you get it decently sour now and then finish it with yeast. It could take a long time to sour if not and may not ever be as sour as wanted.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Hellfire_studios
Recipes 

cool. Thanks. they should be plenty warmed up in my florida garage by tomorrow afternoon and I should see some action!! Thanks guys for the help. I will post up the results.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

OP, I used the wlp lacto in Berliner. I did notice any air lock activity. It could have been a loose carboy stopper or it could have been that lacto does not out gas as much as sac yeast.

I did 48 hours of lacto fermentation and then pitched the wlp German ale yeast.

Quick Reply