Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Berliner Weisse with Kolsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
stblindtiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What temperature did you ferment at with the Kolsch yeast? My LHBS only had German Ale/Kolsch WLP029 in stock and I'm planning on brewing tomorrow.... I'm planning on fermenting at 67 degrees after a two day sour mash then 15 minute boil.

I'm making a 10 gallon batch and using a homemade lacto starter from crushed grain on half, and the other half of the batch will get a starter using Wyeast's 5335 Lacto. These will be added to a sour mash for two days, and then boiled for 15 minutes. That is when I'll add the Kolsch yeast.... I really don't want to get any sulfur flavors either.

Thanks!

Bottled - Lots
Up Next - Rye Saison, Pumpkin Ale, Citra IIPA, Rauchbier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I ended up pitching both the yeasts at 72F. I did not drop the kolsch yeast to the lower temps like I usually do. This was definitely used at the upper extremes of kolsch II. I'm sure it fermented in mid 70s. Didn't really detect any sulfur notes. I'm sure getting it down to 67F would be better than where I fermented it at.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply