The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > benefit of priming with invert sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
doulovebeef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default benefit of priming with invert sugar?

probably a stupid question..

i did some searching and i couldnt find exactly what i was looking for so i decided to ask the experts.

i was wondering if there is any benefit for priming a keg of red rye ale with invert sugar. my thinking was that after primary fermentation the yeast may be tired and since invert sugar is easier for the yeast to digest. i have to boil the sugar anyway before i add it to the keg, it wouldnt be much harder to add a pinch of cream of tarter and bring to 300 degrees. thoughts? opinions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I can't think of any advantage to invert sugar. It would be fine to use, I'm sure, but I don't think there would be any reason to go out of my way to do it.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You are saving the yeast a step and carbonation proceeds quicker in my experience. If you have a pressure cooker, it is easy to invert because the 15 pound pressure setting is good to about 250 degrees. It becomes no more trouble to invert than it does to boil the sugar.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
doulovebeef
Recipes 

well im three hours from my LHBS and i cant justify the drive for corn suger. i didnt feel it would be right to add plain table sugar for priming

Old 09-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulovebeef View Post
well im three hours from my LHBS and i cant justify the drive for corn suger. i didnt feel it would be right to add plain table sugar for priming
Well, you can use table sugar if you want. I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between corn sugar, table sugar or invert sugar in the taste of the carbed up beer.

But, I forgot to say in my first post above that it's NOT a stupid question at all! It's actually a very good question!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulovebeef View Post
Well, there is nothing 'magical' about corn sugar over table sugar. It may take a little more time but since the bottle is 'live' the yeast will eventually clean up by products. Like I said, if you boil the sugar anyhow, then inverting isn't going 'that much further'. Pressure cooker? No brainer, pop it all in and turn off the heat when it reaches temp.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have inverted and fermented sugar in beers before and from my experience, invert sugar will start fermenting very quickly (little to no lag phase, fermentation starts within 30 minutes to an hour). I couldn't notice any different effect that it had on flavor or overall quality of the beer so it's probably not worth the trouble.

It does take boiling temperatures for 10+ minutes and a pH at or below 4 (citric acid inverts best, well hydrochloric actually, but you can't add stomach acid to your brew)

Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
doulovebeef
Recipes 

thanks for all the answers! Hermit, ill get the pressure cooker a shot cuz im always willing to try something new, and this is probably the last 'real' use of my pressure cooker once i figure out how im going to start my steam mash system. thanks again!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
BackAlleyBrewingCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
You are saving the yeast a step and carbonation proceeds quicker in my experience. If you have a pressure cooker, it is easy to invert because the 15 pound pressure setting is good to about 250 degrees. It becomes no more trouble to invert than it does to boil the sugar.

Hi Hermit (or anyone else),

Can you give more information or a link on using a pressure cooker to invert sugar? I've never heard of this method.

Thanks,

TD

Old 09-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoDave View Post
Hi Hermit (or anyone else),

Can you give more information or a link on using a pressure cooker to invert sugar? I've never heard of this method.

Thanks,

TD
Not really. It is just something I started doing after I realized that the temp in a pressure cooker is around 250 at 15 lbs pressure. The normal temps given are around 240 so I figured it was close enough and no having to worry about checking the temp, stirring and adding water back to make it more liquid. I get a very slight color change, but not much. I always fill a clear bottle first so I can watch what is going on. I haven't done anything 'scientific', but it seems that my yeast will start to flock out earlier if I do this. So, since I boil the sugar anyhow, I just put it in the pressure cooker now with a little acid.

Quick Reply