Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bell's Yeast Strain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Default Bell's Yeast Strain

I was at the store the other day and picked up a six pack of two hearted ale, I read the packaging and it said unfiltered and unpastuerized......with no end product in mind I decided to harvest the yeast.

So now I have this bells yeast and I don't even know what kind of yeast strain I have my hands on? From tasting two hearted, it is obviously a very attenuative strain, but I think it has some fruity esters too...is it maybe a derrivative or mutation of dry english yeast?

Regardless, I was thinking about doing something like Imperial Two Hearted Ale..since I have the yeast and a pound of centennial.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You are pretty much right, I have heard that bells uses a strain similar to wlp002.

But then again this could be completely wrong since Bells says they use a proprietary strain. Regardless harvesting the yeast properly and growing up a large culture is the only way to produce a good clone from what I've seen. Also if you're going to harvest from the bottle you may want to harvest from bells amber instead due to two hearted being a bit higher abv which would leave the yeast stressed. Both beers use the exact same yeast.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
You are pretty much right, I have heard that bells uses a strain similar to wlp002.
Nice! I don't have an English strain in house, looks like I do now. I might have to throw this yeast into an Arrogant Bastard clone!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

002 isn't very attenuation, I would be surprised if they used something similar that in Two Hearted Ale.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you know if Bells uses the same strain in all of their beers? I'm in the process of culturing the yeast from a sixer of Bells Amber Ale for a clone (maybe slightly less sweet/slightly more hoppy).

I'm not sure how attenuative the yeast is or how fermentable the wort is for that beer, but the Amber Ale yeast definitely throws some esters.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 05-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
hukdizzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah you could be onto something about the lack of attenuation... Looks like no one really knows what the best commercial example is of their yeast strain but there is quite a bit of speculation in this thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/any...y-uses-147408/

I am going to be having knee surgery soon so I cannot lift which means I cannot brew but in the mean time I plan on going off on a commercial beer/yeast culturing tangent. I am gonna definitely culture bells and also try and culture dfh strain from their shelter pale ale possibly. I would try rogue but it's a waste of time since pacman can be bought.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
hukdizzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Do you know if Bells uses the same strain in all of their beers? I'm in the process of culturing the yeast from a sixer of Bells Amber Ale for a clone (maybe slightly less sweet/slightly more hoppy).

I'm not sure how attenuative the yeast is or how fermentable the wort is for that beer, but the Amber Ale yeast definitely throws some esters.
Many sources state that almost all of their ales use the same strain of yeast except for their larger beers such as expedition and third coast. The closest comparison that has been widely done is amber to two hearted and the general consensus is that these two beers use the exact same strain but are fermented at different temperatures.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

According to a guy in this thread, Bell's uses 4 yeasts. That could jive with what is being said in the other thread, one normal ale yeast, one high gravity ale yeast, one lager yeast, and one brettanomyces.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I harvested from one bottle of Bell's Pale Ale. Stepped it up a few times. I only made two beers with it, first was a low grav Pale Ale and the second was a Two-Hearted 'inspired' ale that I made with the cake from the first brew. I have not tapped the Two-Hearted inspired beer yet. The Pale Ale was good but a little too dry/thin because I didn't know it would attenuate so well.

It is quite attenuative. It is also very cloudy/fluffy at room temp but cold-crashes crystal clear. Polished almost, and I didn't use any finings other than Irish Moss in the kettle. It was just short of amazing how cloudy it was at first and how clear it was when done.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
According to a guy in this thread, Bell's uses 4 yeasts. That could jive with what is being said in the other thread, one normal ale yeast, one high gravity ale yeast, one lager yeast, and one brettanomyces.
Bells makes a beer with Brettanomyces? Which one?

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Quick Reply