*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian yeast for an IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Belgian yeast for an IPA

I am looking for a belgian yeast that is more towards the spicy less clovelike and no banana. Can anyone give me direction on this one. I have also heard it has something to do with temperature...the lower the temperature the more spicyness....any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

This may help. There exists a somewhat similar chart for Wyeast in the BLAM, but I don't have that handy. I'll check it when I get home tonight if you like.

Edit: If it helps, clove flavors are from a specific phenol, banana from an ester. These are not the only phenols or esters, so this chart is somewhat general, but I hope it helps some.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

A saison strain might work. I chose wlp 530 for a Belgian IPA i just made and it should be done in a week.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckstout View Post
A saison strain might work. I chose wlp 530 for a Belgian IPA i just made and it should be done in a week.
This is what I use, also. Keep it about 68 at least until 70% or so of expected attenuation is done and you'll be happy with character, I think. It's not my personal favorite, but pretty much everyone I've given it to has loved it--in fact, my brother-in-law wants me to make it for his wedding!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I love saison yeast in an IPA- great combo. I actually don't care for WLP530, but that's totally a personal preference. WLP500 might be better for me, but I usually go saison.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I brew a clone of Flying Dog's Raging Bitch Belgian IPA and their yeast for this beer is Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit. It makes a great IPA!

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input. From the chart that GuldToburg gave me and the WLP530 suggestion, I will try that first. If I dont like that I will try the Wyeast 3944. Do love the the raging bitch! This forum is fantastic for getting help! Kudos to all the great homebrewers that are willing to help. And if anyone is not spending the frightfully low membership they should be! (shameless plug)

Quick Reply