Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Witbier smells like bananas in the ferm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
petree3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Belgian Witbier smells like bananas in the ferm

I bought a standard witbier kit from NB using the suggested wyeast 3944 yeast. I know that sometimes bananas is an acceptable feature of these beers but I open my fermentation cabinet and WHEW bananas all over the place. I used a starter and got my pitch rates pretty close. The bucket stayed at room temp over night untill i saw activity in the morning and put it in the cooler which I noticed a day later was way to cold (55 degrees). Am I overworried here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Don't smell it then....

Belgian yeast tends to give off all matter of aromas during fermentation. It doesn't really matter at this point, your beer has a loooooong journey to go on before it's drinnkable. And fermentation is often ugly and stinky, when it's perfectly normal.

Generally speaking if something is coming out the airlock, it's not staying in the beer anyway.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Only if you dont like belgian brews.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
petree3
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I actually love the smell but I was just worried because I've heard bananas called an off flavor, but that's good advice from both of you. Thank you very much!

Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

When I smell bananas on a wit ferm I know it's doing what I want which is producing the clove/spice notes I want in a wit. I've been pushing WL400 to it's limits fermenting in the mid 80's just to get these notes, but may switch to WL300 because it says it produces these notes naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
petree3
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I have read that's it's sort of an either or with bananas if you ferment colder and cloves of you ferment higher, trouble is I've never really picked these flavors out in a commercial beer so I'm not sure which one I want...

Quick Reply