Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian White, krausen still present after 2 weeks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Irisndfan2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian White, krausen still present after 2 weeks?

Hello,

I brewed a Belgian white two weeks ago and there is still heavy krausen floating at the top.

I have been fermenting in the low 70's during the day, and it probably falls into the upper 60's over night.

Should I just continue to wait this out? I've never had krausen not fall after 10 days.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

First, you REALLY ought to try and get at least a swamp cooler to help even out your temps. Google it. Very cheap and easy to use.

That temp range isn't terrible, but the temperature inside the fermenter can be 5 degree or possibly more, which can be higher than you really want.

Which yeast did you use?

Next, Wit uses a good amount of wheat, so it may create more krausen than a lot of other styles and it can stay around longer too. Don't worry about it. Just check the gravity and see if it's done. If the gravity is where it ought to be and is stable, then you can rack the beer to a bottling bucket, or into your keg, from UNDER THE KRAUSEN.

It will be fine. The nice thing about a Witbier is that they aren't supposed to be clear anyway! A little krausen won't hurt it. Just be sure it's done. Bottling too early can cause bottle bombs.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

Thanks for the response!

I used WLP400.

Unfortunately I have been pretty lazy on gravity readings so I can't really check it....

I think I will let it sit a few more days and keg it. I tasted a sample and tasted really good, just wish I hadn't been lazy and I wouldn't have to be worrying right now...

Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

If you have a hydrometer, you can at least check the current gravity, also known as FG. Once it's stable and near where you expect it, you should be good. If you don't have a hydrometer, I highly recommend one. They are not expensive.

Quick Reply