Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > belgian trippel not finishing out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
jedheuer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default belgian trippel not finishing out

Hey guys,

I made a belgian trippel using Jamils recipe in Brewin Classic Styles. Mashed at 149 for 90 mins. I oxygenated the wort at 1L per minute for about a minute and pitched an appropriate starter of white labs 530 at 64 and let rise to 70 over about 4 days, then left it there for another for a total of about 16 days. I went to keg it today and found the gravity to be at 1030. So i have a couple questions:

1) How long do your high gravity belgians take to finish out? did i pull it out of the fermentor too soon?

2)What can i do for this beer? I racked it to secondary now. Is there enough yeast in suspension to keep fermentation going? or is this a stuck fermentation situation?

3) What can i do to get my belgians to dry out? I have no trouble with 001 and 002 and usually hit my final gravity dead on.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
kev
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hi,

If your O.G. was above 1.070, you may have underpitched your yeast. I think that your fermentation temps are ok. When you racked into secondary, did you taste it? If so did it taste ok? If not it could be infected. If so you can try adding yeast nutrient or yeast energizer to help get those yeasts going again. You can pitch another vial of yeast. High gravity beers can sometimes take a little longer to finish at 1.012 or lower. Hope it works out for you.

Cheers
Kev

Old 11-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
jedheuer
Recipes 

I did taste it and it was very sweet still. Tastes clean though so i dont think its infected at all. I dont think i under pitched as i used the yeast calculator to make an approriate starter. I will check it out and maybe repitch another vial.

thanks for the reply!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
jedheuer
Recipes 

I did taste it and it was very sweet still. Tastes clean though so i dont think its infected at all. I dont think i under pitched as i used the yeast calculator to make an approriate starter. I will check it out and maybe repitch another vial.

thanks for the reply!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Boost the temperature some more. Sometimes yeasts like it warmer to finish.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am in this exact situation except my gravity on transfer was 1.040. I got fermentation started again and I am not sure if it will finish it out to the 1.01x it is supposed to end at but here is what I did: I stirred the existing yeast back into suspension during the transfer. Then I bought some WLP545 (I used the belgian ale yeast originally) which is the belgian high grav yeast and made a small starter. I then added the yeast starter and some yeast nutrient (only 1t) to the overall beer. 4 or 5 hours later a new krausen had formed and I've got consistent bubbles through the airlock. I will report back soon when I do my follow up gravity reading.

Success is buried in the garden of failure - Rick Wakeman

Old 11-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You should have skipped the secondary. No reason to secondary for that beer. It *could* have been the problem that stalled your fermentation since you took a high gravity beer away from most of the yeast. The rest of the yeast may have been too stressed to finish the job.

You can make a pint starter and pitch it at like 8-12 hours when it's peaking in activity and you should have it finish up some more. Next time don't mess with a secondary unless you are oaking, fruiting, or souring.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Maybe try some 3711 to dry it out ,that stuff will eat anything.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I did my reading yesterday and to my misery: 1.030. I have been trying to keep it at 72F to see if that finishes it out. Myabe I'll add some more nutrient in a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1kebeer View Post
You should have skipped the secondary. No reason to secondary for that beer. It *could* have been the problem that stalled your fermentation since you took a high gravity beer away from most of the yeast. The rest of the yeast may have been too stressed to finish the job.
I know this is a polarizing debate but as someone who does not filter their beers, secondary is the only way to get a semi-clear beer. If you stir up the yeast during the transfer (which I did, although I can't remember if the OP did), you are bringing the yeast with the beer to secondary so this wouldn't be the issue. My beer has been in fermentation for about a month now which is too long to be in one container with the trub and all. Each beer is different but I do a lot of Belgians and the strong Belgians need time, which needs a secondary.

Success is buried in the garden of failure - Rick Wakeman

Old 12-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by WissaBrewGuy View Post
So I did my reading yesterday and to my misery: 1.030. I have been trying to keep it at 72F to see if that finishes it out. Myabe I'll add some more nutrient in a day or so.

I know this is a polarizing debate but as someone who does not filter their beers, secondary is the only way to get a semi-clear beer. If you stir up the yeast during the transfer (which I did, although I can't remember if the OP did), you are bringing the yeast with the beer to secondary so this wouldn't be the issue. My beer has been in fermentation for about a month now which is too long to be in one container with the trub and all. Each beer is different but I do a lot of Belgians and the strong Belgians need time, which needs a secondary.
Nope and nope. If your sanitation is good there is no reason your beer can't spend months in the primary fermenter. Lots of people have done that with no problems.

Are you ready yet to boost the temperature like I suggested earlier? Some Belgian strains like the mid 80's. Wyeast 3944 likes it up to near 90 to finish.

Quick Reply