Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Tripel "too clean" where to start improving?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Belgian Tripel "too clean" where to start improving?

my tripel, fermented with WPL570 doesn't have a lot of the "belgian" flavor profile. I can see a few possible places I could have done things differently, but could use some advice. first, I just pitched the liquid yeast...did not do a starter, and aerated by shaking the carboy (2 strikes?) after fermentation had been going for a day or so, I moved my carboy upstairs near a heating vent to increasing the temp tofruitiness and phenolic characteristics. So, where should I start to improve this beer the next time? starter, aeration w/ O2, ferment warmer earlier, better ferment temp control? I realize all of the above would be best...just wondering which elements have greatest impact.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
scottlindner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I suspect your biggest shortcoming with this particular brew is too low of a fermentation temperature. When you think yeastie Belgians.. think 80F for the fermentation temp if you can get it that high. Do you happen to know what you fermented at?

Also, did you use any spices? Those tend to help with that nice Belgian profile.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Under-pitching would actually make it less clean. You'd get more esters and phenols, possibly some bad ones as well. And if you moved the carboy to a warm spot after one day, that would aid yeast flavors. If I had to guess a problem with your beer from your process, I would have thought it would be the opposite of being overly clean.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

I just opened a golden strong I did with 570 last night with great result. The key to getting this strain to attenuate all the way, and give you thoes great esters, is temp. sounds to me like you had too low of a fermentation temp. I take mine up to about 80F or so, higher with some strains.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
I suspect your biggest shortcoming with this particular brew is too low of a fermentation temperature. When you think yeastie Belgians.. think 80F for the fermentation temp if you can get it that high. Do you happen to know what you fermented at?

Also, did you use any spices? Those tend to help with that nice Belgian profile.
Fermentation temperatures that are too cool may be at the heart of the matter, but we don't know what temperatures the OP pitched and fermented at. Furthermore, I disagree with the 80F fermentation temperature recommendation, except for certain yeast strains (like WY3724-Belgian Saison) that are truly supposed to get that high. For most Belgian yeasts, the general consensus (on this board and by the brewers in "Brew Like a Monk") seems to be: start around 65F and let the temperature rise to the mid-high 70s. Much of the alcohol is produced at a lower temperature, which minimizes the production of fusels. But, letting the temperature ramp up after a day or two still allows you to get the ester profile desired.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

post ended up in the wrong thread.... opps...

Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
scottlindner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuphish View Post
Fermentation temperatures that are too cool may be at the heart of the matter, but we don't know what temperatures the OP pitched and fermented at. Furthermore, I disagree with the 80F fermentation temperature recommendation, except for certain yeast strains (like WY3724-Belgian Saison) that are truly supposed to get that high. For most Belgian yeasts, the general consensus (on this board and by the brewers in "Brew Like a Monk") seems to be: start around 65F and let the temperature rise to the mid-high 70s. Much of the alcohol is produced at a lower temperature, which minimizes the production of fusels. But, letting the temperature ramp up after a day or two still allows you to get the ester profile desired.
I understand the objection to the 80F. I find myself confused about this sometimes. There is a difference in what the maker of the yeast recommend, what I read about Belgian brewing history (which implies temps), and what I have seen other very successful brewers do with their Belgian brews. I know one guy that shoots for over 80F in some of his Belgians! It's probably best to stick to what the maker suggests and experiment from there.

Thanks for mentioning the fusels. I forgot to mention that when I mentioned 80F.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
I understand the objection to the 80F. I find myself confused about this sometimes. There is a difference in what the maker of the yeast recommend, what I read about Belgian brewing history (which implies temps), and what I have seen other very successful brewers do with their Belgian brews. I know one guy that shoots for over 80F in some of his Belgians! It's probably best to stick to what the maker suggests and experiment from there.

Thanks for mentioning the fusels. I forgot to mention that when I mentioned 80F.
I follow you.

I have also read of some breweries letting their Belgians get into the low 80s. But, as far as I can tell, even those breweries pitch in the mid-high 60s, which is important.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
scottlindner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuphish View Post
I follow you.

I have also read of some breweries letting their Belgians get into the low 80s. But, as far as I can tell, even those breweries pitch in the mid-high 60s, which is important.
That's probably the detail I've been missing. I'll keep that in mind next time I brew a Belgian and see it how works out.

Scott

Old 03-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
scottlindner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was talking to a brewing bud about this and he mentioned many Belgians should be fermented in the 80s if not 90s.

Read this wp on dupont.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasserie_Dupont

Quote:
While most beer is fermented at temperatures not exceeding 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit, the tanks at Dupont have been observed to have reached the mid-90's
Scott

50% Art
50% Science
100% BEER

Quick Reply