Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Tripel stalled at 1.030.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
JaySherman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Tripel stalled at 1.030.

Here's the deal:

Brewed Belgian Tripel extract kit. OG of 1.086. Hydrometer reading @week 3 is almost 1.030--well above the target of 1.015.

I recently pitched a starter of S-33 (Saturday afternoon); I'm not noticing activity in the fermenter. The temp @ time of pitching was 66.

This morning I moved it on top of a heat vent, and the temp is around 72.

What more do I need to do to save this beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Jeepaholic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

At this point with the alcohol in the beer you will have a difficult time with restarting. My suggestion is to make a 2 litre starter and pitch it at its peak of activity with yeast energizer. That might give them enough energy to get the job finished.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
JaySherman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepaholic View Post
At this point with the alcohol in the beer you will have a difficult time with restarting. My suggestion is to make a 2 litre starter and pitch it at its peak of activity with yeast energizer. That might give them enough energy to get the job finished.
Could I attempt to pull yeast from the bottom to create the starter? Or do I need to just go get a new packet (local homebrew store doesn't sell liquid)?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
donovanneb
Recipes 

I've racked on top of WLP099 and had good success.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
PaulVikingAles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could try and create a starter using the yeast from the bottom and repitch to see if you can get it going again. Belgian yeast are pretty alcohol tolerant so you might have a chance. Keep the temps in the low to mid 70's or even higher at this point. Were there a lot of temperature fluctuations during fermentation? How were you managing your temps? Did you let it rise above 66 or did you hold steady. I have never had any problems with stalling but I have read that if you try and cool a rapidly rising Belgian strain they could easily stall.

Yeast guy at VikingAles www.vikingales.com

Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
JaySherman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVikingAles View Post
You could try and create a starter using the yeast from the bottom and repitch to see if you can get it going again. Belgian yeast are pretty alcohol tolerant so you might have a chance. Keep the temps in the low to mid 70's or even higher at this point. Were there a lot of temperature fluctuations during fermentation? How were you managing your temps? Did you let it rise above 66 or did you hold steady. I have never had any problems with stalling but I have read that if you try and cool a rapidly rising Belgian strain they could easily stall.
I keep my fermenters in a closet; it got as low as 59 on the fermometer during a cold spell; otherwise, it's been in the low 60's with low variation.

I now have it perched over a heating vent and it's in the upper 70's (currently 79).

Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
PaulVikingAles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interested to see what happens. Keep us posted. If you had a cold spell during fermentation then that is most likely the cause of your stalled fermentation. Belgians tend to stall if there is a drop in temperature. They prefer a steady or rising temp

Yeast guy at VikingAles www.vikingales.com

Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
JaySherman
Recipes 

I just checked the SG; it's still 1.025 or so. Very little change over the last week. Should I do the "nuclear option" and pitch champagne yeast?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySherman View Post
I just checked the SG; it's still 1.025 or so. Very little change over the last week. Should I do the "nuclear option" and pitch champagne yeast?
Champagne yeast isn't the nuclear option. Wyeast 3711 is the nuclear option. It sounds like it's still dropping. I'd keep it warm and gently rouse. You don't have too terribly far to go.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
I keep my fermenters in a closet; it got as low as 59 on the fermometer during a cold spell
That is your problem right there. If a Belgian yeast gets too cool fermentation jsut stops.

Chris White of White Labs talks about Belgian yeasts.

I am quoting from memory so it may be a little off but close.

"If you cool a Belgian yeast, it just stops. The yeast goes into survial mode. You can warm it up, rouse the yeast but it will not start again. You just have to add new yeast."

Quote:
Wyeast 3711 is the nuclear option.
3711 will ferment anything. If you take to long stirring it it might just start to try to ferment the spoon.

Quick Reply