Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Quad FG=1.038

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #31
Hopper5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I don't have much experience brewing a lot of Belgian beers but I do know that they can take a long time to finish sometimes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #32
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwischer View Post
It tastes pretty good but real sweet. Of course I know that a Belgian Quad will be sweet but this is a little more than I'd like which is why I wanted to bring down the FG. I am planning on kegging this both to avoid bottle bombs and because my keg just became available.
If it were me, I'd rack off of the other yeast, and pitch WLP099. That stuff is a beast and should help you out. It's also fairly neutral, so it won't affect the flavor too much. I'd stay away from the 3711.

I've had success in restarting stuck fermentation with the 099. I even used it in a high gravity SMaSH that went from 1.096 to 1.009.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #33
rwischer
Recipes 

Well, I've tried just about everything mentioned on the board here with the exception of adding brett or repitching with 099. I don't won't to go the brett route as I've read that it's "a wild yeast that's known for creating funky, wild flavors." The 099 was a serious consideration but I'm not sure pitching a fourth time with a third different yeast is the way to go. I've stirred up the yeast, added yeast fuel and heated up to around 80 but it's stubbornly still sitting at 1.030. I think I'm down to kegging as is or swinging for the fences with beano. I know beano is a bad word in most home brew circles and should, if at all, be an absolute last ditch effort. As I understand it beano will dry out my beer (which I want because it is still too sweet) but comes with the danger that the gravity continues to drop past where it should be and might turn the beer into rocket fuel.

So, if kegging at 1.030 or adding 1-2 beano tablets were the only options left for you to consider I'm curious as to what others on here would select.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #34
Riot
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is one more semi failproof option. Brew a 1.06ish beer with the same yeast, rack the stuck quad onto the cake after you bottle the small beer. If that doesn't work you can be pretty sure you've hit the fermentability limit.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 AM   #35
rwischer
Recipes 

I've read some more on beano & decided it's a bad idea. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do but if push comes to shove I'd rather keg it as is & take my chances with it being overly sweet. The lesson learned is to always aerate the heck out of your wort before pitching & also if it's a high gravity then consider a yeast starter.

Quick Reply