Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Quad FG=1.038

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Hopper5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Well you are still under attenuated. Wine yeast shouldn't really be able to do anything different from beers yeast. I would try pitching a different yeast like white labs 99 or wyeast french saison which are both good at fermenting down stalled beers. Because you don't really have that many more points to drop they won't really add any of their own character to the brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #22
rwischer
Recipes 

Yeah, I understand that the wine yeast should be no different than beer yeast. I think the reason for the suggestion from the LHBS was that the wine yeast is suited for a high ABV and as such might be more resistant to dying when tossed into the carboy due to the high alcohol.

By my calculation my current attenuation is at 70% so as you mentioned I'm under but don't have far to go. You mentioned the French Saison in a previous post. I am aware that this would be a good candidate for kick starting the stalled fermentation but hesitated as I was concerned that it would impact the flavor. Also, I would think the Trappist would have been just as good at finishing the job as the 3711 (French Saison). The Trappist has an attenuation range of 74-78% and the French Saison has an attenuation range of 77-83%. So they are close but since the French Saison has a higher top end it might finish the job. If, as you say, the 3711 shouldn't add any of its own character to the brew at this point then I'm game to try.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #23
Hopper5000
Recipes 

If you look at the wyeast website it says that franch saison is a good candidate for kick starting a stalled fermentation. It would not add really any character to the brew (from what I have experienced and spoken with LHBS folks about). You are comparing the attenuation level of the FS to the Trappist ale you are using, but something is not working right with the Trappist yeast so I personally would stay away if you are going to repitch. Wlp99 is also an option which is also a very high attenuator. In all reality you could try making a starter of wlp1 as that can usually make it to 10+ alcohol without any major issues. However, that all being said I would just go with the French Saison if you like Wyeast. The wyeast reps that I have talked to said that yeast among the best in their lineup in chewing through the last bit of sugar in most beers.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You are likely going to have trouble with any yeast additions now that Lavin K1-V1116 is present. It has a positive competitive factor (as most wine yeasts do) which means it's designed to kill any competitive organisms particularly other yeasts. This is why wine yeast should be the very last yeast added to beer (as in bottle conditioning).

I think you are down to higher temps and more time at this point.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #25
Hopper5000
Recipes 

That is an interesting point helibrewer, I didn't really take that into account/know about that. He was able to get the brew down a few more points by repitching the same Trappist yeast. This was after he pitched the wine yeast I blieve.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #26
rwischer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
That is an interesting point helibrewer, I didn't really take that into account/know about that. He was able to get the brew down a few more points by repitching the same Trappist yeast. This was after he pitched the wine yeast I blieve.
This is correct. I repitched the Trappist (my third yeast addition) after the wine yeast (my second). It took the gravity down from 1.038 to 1.030.

I'm just guessing but I'd bet the first pitch didn't get the job done because it was in the basement with cooler temps (i.e. 68). After I found out the Trappist likes it warmer I brought it upstairs and put a box over the top with part of the box sitting over a vent to heat it up. So, the second Trappist had the advantage of being in the desired temp range that it should have been. I thought when I saw the gravity start to go down that I would for sure get to my 1.020 target.

I'm in no hurry and at this point think I'll move the carboy to another vent that also has the added benefit of a large window that will provide some additional heat from the sun. It would probably be fine to keg at this point but something about not hitting the target just doesn't sit right!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Yeah I guess one question is, does it taste good? If you are kegging then you don't have to worry about bottle bombs if it starts to spontaneously re-ferment.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #28
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Add some brett

Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #29
rwischer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
Yeah I guess one question is, does it taste good? If you are kegging then you don't have to worry about bottle bombs if it starts to spontaneously re-ferment.
It tastes pretty good but real sweet. Of course I know that a Belgian Quad will be sweet but this is a little more than I'd like which is why I wanted to bring down the FG. I am planning on kegging this both to avoid bottle bombs and because my keg just became available.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #30
Riot
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is really sweet for a Belgian quad. I just bottled a ~1.080 dark strong that I'm unhappy with attenuation. It made it to 1.013, I wanted below 1.010

Quick Reply