Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Quad FG=1.038

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Riot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How do you feel about doing a smaller beer with the same yeast? Do like a Belgian pale or something, and skim off half of the foam at high krausen. If anything will get that down I bet it's a fresh top crop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Marchborne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You might try the Lallemand CBC-1. That's supposed to be able to re-ferment to 12-14%. I haven't tried it that high yet, but I have successfully used it for carbonating pseudo-cask-style in kegs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"I said something to drink, not something to bathe in."

Therapy is for those unfortunates who've run out of beer.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #13
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 143

As mentioned before, try warming it up to 75ish. 3787 likes heat to finish, and can be very slow to do so. What temp have you been fermenting at? Are you measuring your gravity with a refractometer?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #14
Chadwick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'd pitch the super yeast and warm it up. After that it's just a matter of hoping for the best. I wouldn't worry to much about esters at this point. Just throw in the yeasts wearing the "S" badge of glory and let the hero types do what they do.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
rwischer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
As mentioned before, try warming it up to 75ish. 3787 likes heat to finish, and can be very slow to do so. What temp have you been fermenting at? Are you measuring your gravity with a refractometer?
It's been upstairs with a fermenting temp of 70 degrees. I've been measuring the gravity with a hydrometer.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #16
rwischer
Recipes 

3/30 update: Well, I weighed the comments on this thread as well as those from my LHBS. The LHBS recommended a dry wine yeast that is used to high gravity. So I went for it and....nada. Nothing. It didn't move the needle at all. Thinking I had nothing to lose I then went back to the recommendation of those here on the HBT forum and made a yeast starter from the 3787 Trappist (the same original yeast used).

HBT-1 LHBS-0

It's still not to the FG of 1.02 that I want but the needle has been moved. It's been about a week since adding the yeast starter and the gravity has moved from 1.038 to 1.030. Unfortunately it seems to have stalled again and I'm not sure what I should do. My options are:

1) leave it be for another week and take another reading
2) assume that 1.030 is as low as it's going to get
3) pitch yet another batch of the 3787.

At this point I think the safe bet is to just sit tight for another week but I have a feeling that if I don't do anything it won't change any. So, let's assume I'm patient and do nothing and it doesn't move. Then what? Do I assume that 1.030 is the FG or would the brain trust here think it might be worth it to try a fourth yeast to try and give it one more kick to near the expected FG?

The issue isn't to try and squeeze up the ABV as it's currently at 9.3%. My concern is that it still tastes pretty sweet. Of course I knew when I went for a Belgian Quad that it was going to be sweet but I'd still like to bring it down a little more.

Thanks and appreciate the feedback!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #17
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Did you try heating it up and waiting too? From the looks of it you still haven't tried heat. Really, put a heating pad under it or a space heater facing it and heat it up to 75-80 and see what happens.
Wine yeast can handle higher levels of alcohol, but can only eat simple sugars. A starter has to start out in a high alcohol and oxygen environment and can only do so much, but obviously helped.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would heat it up and agitate the yeast into suspension a few times a day if you are able. If you are going to go a 2nd starter route you might want to try to make a starter that is the same strength as your current beer (eg just make a mini beer) and pitch that at high krausen, that way the yeast is already used to the alcohol environment.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you like the Wyeast route their French Saison yeast is quite hardy and will chew through a lot of those residual sugars.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #20
rwischer
Recipes 

I heated the carboy up to 75-76 degrees but the gravity has again stalled at 1.030. So now the question is do I add yeast for the fourth time (#1 The initial Trappist 3787 #2 Wine Yeast #3 Trappist 3787 again) or call it a day and keg? While I'd like to get to the target FG of 1.020 I don't won't to do so at the risk of ruining the batch by over pitching. If however the consensus is that I couldn't hurt anything by pitching one more time I'd be inclined to try and drive down the gravity one more time so that the beer isn't overly sweet.

So...what say the board? Try and pitch one more time (and keep that temp up) OR keg it, carb it and start drinking?

Quick Reply