Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Quad FG=1.038

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
rwischer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Quad FG=1.038

Yesterday I moved a batch of a Belgian Quad from primary to secondary. I was hasty in moving it and didn't check the gravity until I had it moved to secondary and had cleaned out the primary bucket. Big mistake because as an after thought I took a sample from the secondary and found it to be 1.038. Here are some specifics: This is an extract recipe with an OG=1.10 with an expected FG=1.02. The yeast used was Wyeast Trappist 3787 which should be a good for high gravity. So given the OG I'm over 8% ABV but there's still way too much sugar left and I'm concerned it will be too sweet or I'll end up with bottle bombs. As mentioned this should get to 1.02 (actually just slightly lower) and an ABV over 10%.

What are my options?

Leave it in secondary and see what happends? I wouldn't think it wouldn't come down much more now.

Move back to primary and repitch?

Lesson learned to not rush things and ALWAYS check the gravity before moving but given where I am now I could you some help and suggestions.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I think you have to repitch. And that 8% ABV is going to be a hinderance. I would suggest making a starter and pitching at the high Kraesen stage. Or, if you have something else fermenting, when that is finished, throw the Belgian on the yeast cake. Good luck!

Primary: Waldo Lake Amber
Cold Conditioning:nothing
Bottle conditioning: Loghouse Honey Porter, Labor Day Irish
Drinking: Apricot moon, Orange Moon, Ryecentennial PA,Caribou Slobber,Jim's Altbier,Mocha Cherry Stout,Pope Gil's Red Shoes(Irish Red),La Fin de L'Annee, Soxtoberfest, Das Terminator Dopplebock, several others

Old 03-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
rwischer
Recipes 

I agree that I need to repitch. I don't think leaving it in secondary & hoping that it continues to ferment is a viable option.

My main concerns with a successful repitch are:
1) Repitching without the high ABV killing the yeast (which you mentioned)
2) Can I repitch in carboy or should I move back to primary bucket?
3) Repitch with the same 3787, a Safale with yeast starter or other?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 119

You can always bomb it with 3711. That stuff eats anything. I think it would ferment a spoon if you stirred too long.

From the Wyeast website...

Quote:
YEAST STRAIN: 3711 | French Saison

Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style beers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83%
Temperature Range: 65-77F 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 12%
Make a starter and pitch at high krausen. The only thing is that it may take it lower than you want to go.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
garcia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What's it taste like?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
keatonch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwischer View Post
I agree that I need to repitch. I don't think leaving it in secondary & hoping that it continues to ferment is a viable option.

My main concerns with a successful repitch are:
1) Repitching without the high ABV killing the yeast (which you mentioned)
2) Can I repitch in carboy or should I move back to primary bucket?
3) Repitch with the same 3787, a Safale with yeast starter or other?
You could try slowly acclimating a monster yeast starter to the alcohol content by having the quad slowly added in over time to the yeast so that they have a chance to maintain their cell membranes against the alcohol. Makes sure to use a decent amount of nutrient and have a large starter because nutrient is essential in having a alcohol resistant yeast go higher than you intended. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
BWE
All Grain supports the Brain
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you decide to do a starter, I would go with a DME that matches your style beer, and the gravity that it's at right now, let it spin up for a few days, or until (as others suggested) the Krausen stage, and pitch. Good luck. I would hate to see a good Belgian quad not turn out right. I think you'll be fine though.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
rwischer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia View Post
What's it taste like?
Hard to describe but it wasn't at all what I expected. With a gravity of 1.038 I was expecting something pretty sweet but it wasn't that at all. It reminded me of a RIS a while back that was pretty bland without a lot of character. The RIS turned out fantastic but too a long time to bottle condition and develop character so I hope this does the same.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
rwischer
Recipes 

I went to my LHBS and described the issue and they recommend I use a wine yeast (Lavin K1-V1116) to start up the fermentation. I asked if it would need a starter and they say "Nope, just hydrate and dump into the carboy." They said the characteristics of the wine yeast are neutral so it won't change the flavor and it's used to high gravity so it should kick start the process. So, now I'm not sure if I should use the wine yeast or make a starter from a beer yeast.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I dunno if I would use a wine yeast as that might impart some weird flavors. You might try heating up the brew in secondary. Get it up to about 75F or so and see if that drops it down some more. You could also try re-pitching at high krausen because that would probably get it fermenting again.

Quick Reply