Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Pale Ale yeast substitute

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieHowells View Post
I was satisfied with the beer overall. I am definitely interested in trying the same recipe with the Antwerp yeast, to see if I can get something which would be closer to a De Koninck.
I know this is an old thread, but in case you haven't brewed your De Koninck yet, I have done a 10 gallon batch of Belgian Pale Ale. In 5 gallons I fermented with Ardennes, in the other 5 I used WL Antwerp Ale. The Antwerp was definitely more subdued...almost too subdued and rather one dimensional. I agree with your assement of the spiciness of the Ardennes...almost too spicy. Next time I do a BPA I will probably Ferment the Ardennes a little warmer (Fermented in the Mid 60's) like 70 or so in hopes of bringing out more esters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Almost a year to the date of my opening post, I finally got around to re-brewing this beer with WLP515 today. I plan on keeping it down near 66 for the first few days, letting it rise, and then cold conditioning in the garage, to try to replicate the process used at DeKoninck. I did the same recipe earlier this year, with EKG hops and WLP550, and allowed the temp to rise after pitching at 66. I just sampled a beer, and although it was under carbonated for some reason, it tasted great- better than any other beer I have brewed, partially because I have started being more careful with my water, but also because the fruit from the 550 came out brilliantly. I guess an end of the year Belgian Pale Ale is my new brewing tradition.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I keep brewing a basic Belgian recipe, tweaking some hops, and small grain additions, but it's basically the same but I've used different yeasts. This xmas break I went back and tried many of them side by side and the 550 is just a total standout.

I've just rebrewed a very large batch, and used 515 which I'll bottle tomorrow. It was fermented at pretty high temps, so it will be interesting to see what it did.

Quick Reply