Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Golden Strong Ale - how long to ferment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
chug187
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Golden Strong Ale - how long to ferment?

I've got a Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Jamil Z's recipe - sitting in primary right now. I brewed it on 1/10, so that's about four weeks ago. How long should I ferment it for? Should I secondary this beer?

I know it'll take some time, but should it be in the bottle or carboy?

Thanks,
Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Hotspur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Start taking gravity readings. I ended up leaving my golden strong with the 1388 yeast in the primary for roughly eight weeks. It was amazingly perfect, no hot alcohol, the yeast had dropped nicely and it was way, way too smooth for a 9% beer.

The reason I left it so long is that my volume was off (that one bucket is different), and I had 7 gallons, so I wanted to keg and bottle, which would take longer than just kegging, and I didn't have time. I kegged 5 gallons, then racked the last two into the bottling bucket, and added the right amount of sugar, and a bit of fresh yeast. No secondary at all, and it was fantastic coming out of the primary. If you need the primary, and want to have it clear/age more, make sure it's done, then go ahead and move it. 1388 is notorious for not clearing at a reasonable pace, which is part of why I just ignored mine.

I also have five primaries, so giving one up wasn't TOO bad.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think how long it ferments is the yeasts' decision, not yours

How long to leave it in the primary though? That's up to you! Give it enough time to finish and clean up a bit. What is the OG and yeast strain?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I also left mine in primary for about 8 weeks, using the duvel strain (wlp570). turned out great, I've only got 6 of them left though

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what was your OG? I left a quad that was 1.100 in primary for about 6 or 7 weeks, then bottle conditioned it for 6 months, ended up great. Now that i have more primaries/carboy's i'd probably do 4 weeks in primary, then another 4 or 5 in secondary, then bottle for a few months, but i'm no expert

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
chug187
Recipes 

It's WLP570.

Alas, I forgot to take an SG reading so I don't know exactly, but the estimated OG for the recipe is 1.082.

Quote:
I think how long it ferments is the yeasts' decision, not yours
Haha, true! Maybe I should ask the yeast how long they'd like to stay...

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give it another couple of weeks before bottling. Just enough time to figure out what's next.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I don't get why everybody leaves the beer in the fermenter so long. 2 weeks does it for most any ale, even the strong ones. Once the ending gravity is reached and the yeast flocculate I don't think there is anything to gain from leaving it in the fermenter. I do my aging in the keg.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I don't get why everybody leaves the beer in the fermenter so long. 2 weeks does it for most any ale, even the strong ones. Once the ending gravity is reached and the yeast flocculate I don't think there is anything to gain from leaving it in the fermenter. I do my aging in the keg.
A lot of us beg to differ. we've had different experiences with leaving our beers longer. And there's tons of threads discussing it, so there's no need to re-invent the wheel here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done both with results that seemed no different. Now I pretty much bottle when the SG is the same for 4 days and I happen have time to bottle/keg that weekend. Sometimes work doesn't allow me time to do so and I will leave in primary or secondary for weeks or months with no apparrent off flavors or problems.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
bjzelectric
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ive did a BSA (Westy 12 clone) (hopefully) on 1/25/10. I plan on leaving it in primary for 4 to 6 weeks and then letting it "age" in a secondary for a few months. Have you considered this for yours? Ive heard that these big beers need bulk aging. Im gonna give it a try and prob bottle condition a while too.

Hooray Beer!

Quick Reply