Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Golden Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
lanemag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Golden Strong Ale

I brewed my first original all grain recipe last night and everything went fine. When the wort had chilled to 75 I aerated it with my oxygen stone and then pitched the yeast. I put the carboy in my refrigerator to cool it to around 65 but accidentally fell asleep on the couch. I woke up and rushed to the fridge and took the carboy out at 52. Its sitting at a comfortable 65 now but my question is do you think that it was too cold for too long? Im just hoping I didn't screw up my fermentation and this whole beer, its my baby.

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world" -Kaiser Wilhelm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 3 Posts

It should be fine. What yeast did you use? Some of the Belgian yeasts (wlp500 or the Wyeast Abbey) are VERY slow to start up, even with proper pitching. Do not worry too much if you don't see obvious signs of fermentation for a couple days. Trust in your sanitation.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
lanemag
Recipes 

I double pitched it with WLP570 and by the end of the day I was fermenting strong. I was just worried that I had screwed up my first brainchild. Thanks for the encouragement

Quick Reply