Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Belgian Beers, sugar in boil, or sugar after initial fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
WhiskeySam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Belgian Beers, sugar in boil, or sugar after initial fermentation

I imagine this is debated quite a bit. My thought is that Belgian beers, dubbels, Tripels, Strongs, etc that utilize candi sugar needs to have that sugar added to the fermenter after three or four days of active fermentation. Thought being that the simpler sucrose needs to be added after the maltose is gobbled up, creating the flavor profile. If both the sucrose and maltose are present at the same time, the yeast will preferentially gobble the sucrose in the initial fermentation. Given the high OG of most Belgian ales, that leaves a nice chance that you'll have a less than complete fermentation.

But this is a pain in the ass. It throws off my OG calculations if the sugar isn't present at pitching time. I can correct for this, but I'd rather not. Plus, the process of boiling the sugar in water to sterlize everything and then adding it, it's just tedious.

Am I overthinking this. Given that the sugar is only about 10% of the total, if I just added it to the boil and pitched an extra super-duper slug of yeast, wouldn't that alieviate the concern?

In the Keg (1) -- Stout
In the Keg (2) -- IPA

Up Next -- Marzen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I add sugar later for three reasons: lower osmotic pressure = happier yeast, and lower gravity = lower pitching rate, so my starters don't need to be as large. I can also adjust the amount of sugar I use based on where my actual OG and FG ended up.

You're right that yeast will preferentially eat simple vs complex sugars. If they eat enough simple sugars, their metabolism will 'switch' and they won't be able to eat maltotriose. If they're healthy enough, they can switch back, so it may not be a big risk provided adequate yeast health.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I just take the sugar out of the recipe in my brew softawre to get an OG without the sugar. Add it back in to get the full picture, of oG with sugar and estimated FG.

I do usually add it after a few days of fermentation. I seem to get a few more points of attenuation. This lets the yeast start out eating the more complex sugars of the wort, then a few days later adding the sugar is like desert to the hungry yeast.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Prionburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My only experience with adding sugar later resulted in a stalled fermentation. It stalled at 1.020, which is gross for a Belgian beer. Adding an active 001 starter fixed it, but in the future I'm just going to add my sugar additions during or before the boil.

Note, I added my sugar just as the high krausen phase was ending. That was probably too late. Also, it was with 3787. Oh, and the fermenter blew its top bigtime after I dumped the sugar in.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
Nateo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prionburger View Post
Oh, and the fermenter blew its top bigtime after I dumped the sugar in.
That sounds like the problem to me. Just don't let your fermentor explode.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

I've successfully added my sugar to the boil multiple times. I've never had stalled- or even slow for that matter- fermentations and I've ended up with dry, delicious Belgian beers. I personally think its easier, and with sufficient yeast its fine. Even if you underpitch (SLIGHTLY), its ok as this will add to the amount of ester production. I wouldn't worry honestly... the yeast knows what to do if you give it good enough conditions (O2, temp since its a belgian)

Carboy 3: Air
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: 1 Gallon of Wild Yeast Culture!
Keg 1: Kate the Great Clone (left tap)
Keg 2: Crop Chopper PAL (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Air
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine, Chianti

In the Works: IPA

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

+1 to Mainebrew. 4 Belgians with sugar added to boil. Never a FG above 1.008. Make sure you pitch plenty of yeast and add some yeast nutrient near the end of the boil.

AG can sometimes go lower than extracts. There is a mysterious extract wall with regards to finishing gravity. Never experienced it myself but have heard about it.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Nateo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
AG can sometimes go lower than extracts. There is a mysterious extract wall with regards to finishing gravity. Never experienced it myself but have heard about it.
Most extracts contain Carapils or similar.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Esmitee
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

i just did a Belgian Golden Strong Ale, OG 1074 ,I'm @ 4 days today. I should boil the candi syrup with some water? (how much) cool ,dump in, and give a good swirling? or just dump in?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I don't think you'll need to swirl. The yeast activity alone should be enough to distribute.

You probably don't even need to bring the syrup to a boil, but it wouldn't hurt. I'd add 2 cups of water to the syrup and get it heated, then cool, then dump.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Quick Reply