New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Beginner Advice - Imperial Stout & Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
jh2os
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beginner Advice - Imperial Stout & Brown Ale

On my 3rd day of my first 2 batches, I want to make sure I don't screw them up so I'm looking for some advice.

Brown Ale - OG: 1.072
Imperial Stout - OG: 1.091

1. Is 75 F an issue with either of these brews during primary or secondary?

2. If considering to do a secondary on the imperial to clear it a bit and add some coffee and chocolate, how long should I leave it in the primary and in the secondary before bottling?

3. What's average time for a brown estimated around 7% to be ready to drink after bottling?

4. Should I take another SG reading if I decide to rack into secondary?

Thanks in advance !!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1. Yes, 75* is too warm for anything but Belgian ales and Saison. During secondary it'd be fine but that's too warm for good fermentation (as in, flavor-wise. I'm sure it'd take off like a rocket).
2. Leave in primary for 3-4 wks, secondary for a month or three. Not sure how to best add the coffee/chocolate as I've never done, but you might consider adding cold-steeped coffee for the coffee bit. I've heard that works really well.
3. 6-8 wks, give or take. Could be longer if you ferment warmer or have other problems that create off-flavors.
4. when - when you first rack to secondary, or after it's been there awhile? Cause I would do the latter but not the former.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
jh2os
Recipes 

Nice thank you !!!

Update: Just stopped home for lunch and checked the temp. again (Day 4), it is now reading 73 F.

Question: what is the ideal temp. to be fermenting the brown and imperial at?

Problem: In a small apartment (2nd floor) with limited space and a girlfriend that is always cold. Built a small shelf in the hallway to keep 2 Primaries, 2 Secondaries, and cases of bottles which are covered by a towel to dampen the blowoff bubbling noise and to keep it dark.

Question: Could this be making it too warm and any idea on how to keep it cooler?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 33

What yeast are you using? If you are looking to minimize/eliminate fusel alcohols and minimize ester production you'd want to be in the low to mid 60's for most yeast strains. Especially during the first 48-72 hours. If you're on day 4, not sure cooling it down will help much. I think you will have some fusels with both of those brews, but could be okay depending on yeast strain.

Swamp coolers work to help bring the temps down. Basically you put the bucket into a rubbermaid container and fill about halfway up the bucket with cold water. Keep cycling frozen water bottles in. That can reduce the temps by anywhere between 2 and 6 deg F. Maybe more if you use more bottles.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you have no way of controlling the temp, you can always wrap the fermenter in a damp towel. Having a fan blowing on the towel will cool it down even more.

75 is just too warm unless it's a Belgian. Make sure you leave them in primary for at least 4 weeks so the yeast have a chance to clean up any off flavors.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
jh2os
Recipes 

Attached is a picture of the ingredients I used.

So basically, they are going to have a strong alcohol like taste because of the high temp, and keeping it in the primary for at least 3 weeks should help?

I was planning on letting this age for at least 3 months before bottling. Is this also a good idea?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The taste will probably be a bit 'hot,' yes. There may also be other kind of fruity or tangy flavors. US-05 is a pretty versatile strain so it could be worse.

It's not a bad idea, so long as you have good sanitation and keep it well protected from oxygen.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You should be ok, but it will take quite a bit of aging.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
jh2os
Recipes 

Thanks to all for the advice !!!!

Cheers...

Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
jh2os
Recipes 

Just thought of some more questions...

1. Are there any ingredients that I could add into the secondary to help decrease the off favors while letting it age for months (4-6)?

2. Should I expect continued fermentation in the secondary?

3. What is considered "quality sanitation" for aging, to avoid oxygen contamination?

4. Did I just end up brewing (2) batches that are going to light me up like moonshine?

Dogfish Head World Wide Stoudt is one of my top 5 favorites because of the high a.b.v. So I don't mind drinking a normal pint while sipping on my Imperial Stout Whiskey Brew that I just made. Lol....

You guys are helping me a ton and I appreciate it. This app is F$&@ing awesome !!! Thanks again in advance...

Quick Reply