Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Beersmith recommends aging for 30 days?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
anthonyc9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Likes Given: 2

Default Beersmith recommends aging for 30 days?

I am brewing a DIPA on Sunday. Looking at the timeline that Brewsmith generated, it says to age the beer in my keg for 30 days.

Normally when I brew. I keg, purge with co2, let it sit for a couple days, then force carb and enjoy when it's ready


Is this normal? 30 days seems like a long time. Are there pros and cons to this?

__________________
anthonyc9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
poptarts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laramie, Wyoming
Posts: 910
Liked 193 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

that's your fermentation schedule you can make it say anything. My stout says 300

__________________
POPTARTS
$50 HERMS System
poptarts is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
anthonyc9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptarts View Post
that's your fermentation schedule you can make it say anything. My stout says 300
That's what I thought at first, but it lists:

Primary: 4
Secondary: 10
Tertiary: 14

Keg on 5/11 and age for 30 days. Drink and enjoy on June 10


Super confusing
__________________
anthonyc9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
ButteryJones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2
Likes Given: 3

Default

Anything I've made has gotten better with age. Also, I would think a bigger beer would benefit more from aging. Gives the flavors a chance to mellow out and all that good stuff.

__________________
ButteryJones is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
rossi46
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rossi46's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 689
Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I think it says that for all beers. I usually have mine on the gas for 24 hrs at 30 psi and then 6 more days at 12 psi and start drinking. IPA's and Wheat's are better young.

__________________
rossi46 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
anthonyc9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I think it says that for all beers. I usually have mine on the gas for 24 hrs at 30 psi and then 6 more days at 12 psi and start drinking. IPA's and Wheat's are better young.
If I were to let it age. Would I just keg the beer, purge with co2 then age it for XX days?

Or

Keg the beer, force carb, then age for XX days?
__________________
anthonyc9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 479
Liked 90 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

That is Beersmiths default profiles. I believe you are supposed to actually input your own schedule profiles if you want. The only time I bothered with the fermentation scheduling profile was for my Wee Heavy just so as to have the bulk aging and bottling dates handy on the recipe sheet so i didn't have to keep figuring it out.

__________________
Trox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,578
Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc9 View Post
That's what I thought at first, but it lists:

Primary: 4
Secondary: 10
Tertiary: 14

Keg on 5/11 and age for 30 days. Drink and enjoy on June 10


Super confusing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trox View Post
That is Beersmiths default profiles. I believe you are supposed to actually input your own schedule profiles if you want. The only time I bothered with the fermentation scheduling profile was for my Wee Heavy just so as to have the bulk aging and bottling dates handy on the recipe sheet so i didn't have to keep figuring it out.
Exactly. YOU set up your fermentation profile and aging schedule. If you don't you'll get some sort of default.

You don't want to age a DIPA all that much, as the hops will fade fast and the beer will be past its peak before you even start to drink it.

Ferment the beer until it's done, and clear (or clearing). Add the dryhops, and 5-7 days later, keg it. Put it on the gas. If it needs a bit of aging, then age it a bit but don't go overboard. That's really about it- it's pretty simple!

I'm drinking my "Pliny the Toddler" beer right now. It's a lower OG than a DIPA, but it's extremely hoppy. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pliny-toddler-466884/

I brewed it on 3/25. It was dryhopped for 5 days before kegging. It's good.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,242
Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc9 View Post
I am brewing a DIPA on Sunday. Looking at the timeline that Brewsmith generated, it says to age the beer in my keg for 30 days.

Normally when I brew. I keg, purge with co2, let it sit for a couple days, then force carb and enjoy when it's ready


Is this normal? 30 days seems like a long time. Are there pros and cons to this?
Brewing software is a tool to help you brew the way you want to. It is NOT, and should never be considered, instructions about HOW to brew. That's what you decide.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
broadbill Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
anthonyc9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Likes Given: 2

Default

Thanks everyone!

__________________
anthonyc9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BeerSmith, aging timeline, 30 days to age? ColeR Bottling/Kegging 1 03-22-2013 09:28 PM
So do you interpret the beersmith "fermentation an aging" graph? Brewsmack Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 02-19-2013 02:51 PM
Aging in bottle or aging in carboy? Pros and Cons? msarro Mead Forum 1 11-08-2012 04:05 AM
Barley wine: Bulk aging vs aging in the bottle jjacobs Recipes/Ingredients 18 12-21-2009 03:01 AM
Secondary fermentation vs bulk aging vs bottle aging jaginger Cider Forum 8 07-09-2009 11:08 PM