Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Beer Temp VS Ambient Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
wdwalter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Beer Temp VS Ambient Temp

Pretty clear picture of how Beer temp is not always the same as Air temp. This was a Hefeweizen second day in primary. Fermented a little cooler than what I wanted but samples from primary taste great. This was a digital thermometer with the probe suspended in the center of the fermenter.

004.jpg   005.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Rambleon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Awesome reminder. Always something I forget about then end up paying for, especially with Heffe and Belgian strains.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Great visual!!! What yeast strain are you using??

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 03-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
wdwalter
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's WLP300. I'll update this after the beer is done, but in primary it runs the spectrum of good hefe flavors from clove to banana to bubblegum. I'm pretty excited to see the final product

Old 03-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I data log active fermentations using 2 thermocouples (example graph below). The air inside the chest freezer will change a lot over time, but the beer temperature (measured with a probe well-insulated over on the side of the fermentor) can be kept within a very small range. I've never put a thermocouple into the beer.

graph.jpg

Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
I data log active fermentations using 2 thermocouples (example graph below). The air inside the chest freezer will change a lot over time, but the beer temperature (measured with a probe well-insulated over on the side of the fermentor) can be kept within a very small range. I've never put a thermocouple into the beer.

Attachment 106103
You are such a geek!

And that is very high praise, coming from me in case you didn't know!

That's very cool.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 405

I'll see your 6 and raise you 7 . . .

Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Definitely not trying to one-up anybody. Hopefully these graphs illustrate how radically the air temperature can change and have minimal effect on the beer temperature. All you can do with a freezer is minimize the time that it's on but find settings that do not cycle it too often.

I use the TSS2 controller with a heater on the 2nd relay that takes over when fermentation begins to slows.

I've been brewing almost exclusively Belgians recently with the intent to make a very estery beer at controlled temperatures, yeast pitch, aeration. The graph below is from a Tripel with gravity data overlayed (by refractometer with alcohol correction). After final gravity is confirmed the primary is cold crashed, transfer to secondary and cold conditioning begins.

graph.jpg

Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
Definitely not trying to one-up anybody. Hopefully these graphs illustrate how radically the air temperature can change and have minimal effect on the beer temperature. All you can do with a freezer is minimize the time that it's on but find settings that do not cycle it too often.

I use the TSS2 controller with a heater on the 2nd relay that takes over when fermentation begins to slows.

I've been brewing almost exclusively Belgians recently with the intent to make a very estery beer at controlled temperatures, yeast pitch, aeration. The graph below is from a Tripel with gravity data overlayed (by refractometer with alcohol correction). After final gravity is confirmed the primary is cold crashed, transfer to secondary and cold conditioning begins.

Attachment 106104
What is your differential set at? Seems like at least 14-16F. I usually set no more than 6F. But your graph clearly demonstrates that even 10F is not a big issue

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Has anybody ever tried this while fermenting in water bath? I wonder what the temp difference would be? Being that water is a lot more denser than air. And how long would it take till things even out?

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Quick Reply