Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Beer still tastes awful after months of conditioning. Dump or Save?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Beer still tastes awful after months of conditioning. Dump or Save?

Let me start by saying that I am not sure what section of the forums is best for this thread, so if anyone feels that it should be else-where, then please let me know. Anyways...

...So I have about 50-60 bottles of 2 separate batches of rye ipa that came out absolutely awful. I blame both of these on my pitching the yeast too warm and winding up with mass amounts of hot fussel flavors that have pretty much rendered these beers undrinkable. I mean if i was on a deserted island with nothing i would drink them but I have learned alot since these batches and now have plenty of perfectly made home-brews on hand that keep me and even my friends from drinking these crappy beers. It has been at least 4 months for these guys and I still have no desire to drink them, so my question is what should I do now? I would love to be able to use the bottles for a beer that is actually worthy but I absolutely hate dumping time and money down the drain. What would you do in this situation?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

If I couldn't drink it and enjoy it I'd dump it.

Bummer tho.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

IMHO, they likely won't get much better and you need the bottles. So you are not completely wasting them, I would suggest putting about a dozen down in the cellar/basement (if you have one) and leave them alone for about a year... they might mellow a bit. But otherwise, holding onto things because you don't want to waste them is more like hoarding. You learned a lesson, now use the bottles for something you enjoy... that way you are not always looking at the bottles and being reminded of a negative experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

If you don't want to drink them there's no need to keep them. Maybe you could use them for cooking? I simmer brats in beer sometimes, or add beer to a roast instead of water.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

It really doesnt seem like they are going to mellow out much more so dumping really seems to be the best option. I will hold onto a few for cooking purposes I guess, but I hate looking at them knowing they suck and its nothing but wasted time and money. I will just chalk it up to an expensive learning experience. Sooo let the dumping begin...

Quick Reply