Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Beer dropped to 1.002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
BWN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I guess I have an infection. Should I get rid of my bucket or can it be cleaned up enough? What about my auto siphon and air lock?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
It tasted fine when I put it into the keg yesterday. I didn't see anything that looked like an infection. I pitched the yeast left over from a kolsch. I didn't wash it I just saved a slurry in a mason jar. I may have over pitched.
my experience with over pitching yeast (pitching on most of a yeast cake) has always resulted in an over attenuated beer, thin, bland and not good. check out this experiment done by some other guy i don't know. http://sciencebrewer.com/2012/03/02/...-deux-results/

Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
BWN
Recipes 

I didn't pitch on most of the yeast cake I pitched on about 1/3 to 1/4. I may have overpitched but I really don't think that is the problem. In the link posted he got to 1.009 when overpitching, which is quite a bit higher than 1.002. I am still holding out hope that it is not an infection, but the outlook is not so good.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
BWN
Recipes 

I just realized I kegged another beer that same night, after the infected batch. I washed my auto siphon(really just rinsed it out with tap water) then I ran starsan through it and soaked it in starsan. What are my chances the next batch is okay?

Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
I just realized I kegged another beer that same night, after the infected batch. I washed my auto siphon(really just rinsed it out with tap water) then I ran starsan through it and soaked it in starsan. What are my chances the next batch is okay?
no way to really know but it's probably fine if you ran starsan through it.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
BWN
Recipes 

I am going to drink that batch fast just in case

Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I just finished 1 of my edworts oktoberfest ale kegs last night. This recipe with the kolsch yeast needs to settle for a while at cold temps. As the recipe recommends I went ahead and lagered ( i know its an ale yeast) mine and took small samples throughout the 6 weeks it spent at 34F. The taste after 6 weeks was completely different than when it first became fully carbed. I didn't have the over-attenuation problem that you had, but I figured I would throw that out there.

SMALL AXE BREWING
"If you are a big tree, we are a small axe, ready to cut you down."-Bob Marley

Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
my experience with over pitching yeast (pitching on most of a yeast cake) has always resulted in an over attenuated beer, thin, bland and not good. check out this experiment done by some other guy i don't know. http://sciencebrewer.com/2012/03/02/...-deux-results/

I feel that a lot of the issues with "overpitching" is not due to too many yeast cells, but rather too much starter. I see people make a 1.060 wort and then pitch a gallon starter and complain about a thin or bland beer and think that too many yeast cells ate all the flavor out of the beer. Well in reality if you're dumping in a gallon of slurry into a 5 gallon batch you're watering that down by over 20%! No kidding the beer comes out thin when you're knocking your OG down to around 1.040 instead of the 1.060 you were shooting for.

Now if you made a gallon starter and let it flocculate in the fridge for a couple days, dumped off the excess fluids and only pitched the active yeast cells (which would likely only be about .5-1 quart worth of slurry) then I think you'd find the "overpitching" to not really be an actual issue for the most part.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
kcross13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i thought my coffee stout had dried out like this as well as an ESB, then I through my hydrometer in water and saw the problem. Time for a new hydrometer.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

+1 make sure to double check whatever you are using to test gravity. I use my refractometer to test gravity while the beer is fermenting/finished and usually using spreadsheet adjustments it is usually pretty accurate. I freaked out because it said my beer was way low (1.004) and I feared infection also. Used my finishing hydrometer the actual reading was at 1.016. So yeah either way if you get a reading that seems way out of whack double check the hydrometer or refractometer. Just going by taste might not be a good indicator. I too am paranoid and have had batches I thought were infected because they tasted "off" after kegging. Usually the beers improve drastically after a month or two so the beer might just be green.

Quick Reply