Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Been Sitting in Secondary...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Kojones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Been Sitting in Secondary...

Howdy -

I've been waiting for a new temperature controller for the chest freezer so I can keg, and my latest red ale has been sitting in the secondary for maybe a week longer than it needed. Any thoughts on impact to the beer? It looks sad all flat, no foam, just waiting for carbonation!

Cheers,
Kojones

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No. Secondaries are used for bulk conditioning and aging beers. That's sort of the point. So there's no downside to leaving the beer longer, actually just the opposite.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Kojones
Recipes 

Awesome - thanks. I'm relatively new to this, but learning and expanding quick!

Cheers,
Kojones

Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Many beers include flavors or aromas that will vanish over time. IPAs are one example, many different kinds of wheat beers are another. Leaving an IPA in a secondary vessel to age for too long will result in a maltier, more oxydized beer, and a wheat that's actually TOO old just won't taste good.

Red ales - like the one you say you have in secondary - won't be harmed by an extra week of conditioning. They have lots of malty flavors that need time to meld, and (comparatively) few alpha-acids to volatilize off. Just remember that you need to be disciplined about your timeline for SOME beers, and plan appropriately!

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Quick Reply