Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Beastly Bells Yeast in RIS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Beastly Bells Yeast in RIS

Last nioght I bottled my RIS that was brewed back in early April. I had pitched a healthy amount of yeast from a previous batch of porter that used Bells yeast. OG of the RIS was 1.102 and in primary it got down to 1.029 or 9.5% ABV (6 weeks).

I wanted to hit 10% on this one, so I made up a strong 2 qt starter with Bells, plenty of yeast nutrient, and a 30 minute boil with some hops. Pitched the whole thing at high krausen into a sanitized carboy and racked the RIS on top. It was happily fermenting away for almost a month slow and steady.

I didn't open it up until last night, but when I checked the gravity it was all the way down to 1.011. No visual, smell, or taste cues for an infection, so I have to assume the Bells yeast did all of the work. I was impressed. It's sitting at 11.94% ABV, and thats before the priming sugar add. So smooth, yet I was almost catching a buzz off the smell of this brew. Now if I can just hold off on cracking my first for another 6 months.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of work out of Bells yeast, or other brewing types for that matter?

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Empty
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III, Black Currant Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
phenry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've found Bell's yeast usually does attenuate further than 1056 or S-05 given the same mash temps, though it takes a little bit longer to finish. For this reason I really just use it for my APAs and IPAs, since I usually like a little bit more body in my other beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply