Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Basement temp yields 64 degree fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
BrewMoreBeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Basement temp yields 64 degree fermentation

This time of year my basement gives me about a 64.6 degree temp taken in my thermowell on a 10 gallon batch. I have considered heating things up to closer to 70... Will the benefits be worth the effort?

Right now I have an ipa with while labs CA Ale and I also am doing a Xmas ale and porter both with white labs London ale

My typical temp control consists of what ever the ambient temp it in my basement but I am starting to think about getting a heat wrap and controller for the winter season.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
gingerdawg
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 21

64.6 sounds like an absolutly perfect temperature to brew ales! I love the winter time for fermenting, because it's easier to keep things from getting too warm in the basement. Just keep the fermenter up off the floor, and you will get great beers at 64.6!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, great fermentation temperature.

Definitely warm it up if you want your beer to taste worse.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, that's a great temp. I like to use WLP002 around 64-66. Fermentation temp will be a bit over ambient. Proper pitching rates and aeration will provide insurance.

That said, I do make a point of warming my beers up to 68 after the bulk of the fermentation is done before cold crashing.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for setting me straight. I keep hearing folks say that one needs temp control to get their beers to the next level... I guess they mean chilling in the summer, not warming in the winter. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMoreBeers View Post
Thanks for setting me straight. I keep hearing folks say that one needs temp control to get their beers to the next level... I guess they mean chilling in the summer, not warming in the winter. Thanks for keeping me straight.
Of all the things I've done, building a fermentation chamber made a huge leap in my beer quality. I just held a lager at 50F for 18 days with great results. I rank it up there with proper sanitation and yeast starters.

Last edited by bolts; 11-06-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMoreBeers View Post
I ferment just about everything at 62-64. Unfortunately I have to use a fridge to hold my wort at that temp.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Sounds like the perfect setup. When I've made lagers, it has been in the winter. The brewery sits at 50-55F, the house at 62F and the garage is normally around freezing. I do have a fermentation chamber, but only use it in the summer.

Many ale yeasts start getting strange around 70F. Belgians, on the other hand, always ferment warm.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply