Barleywine too dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinsBrewers81

Reaction score
Hey All, first timer here.

I've done a couple AG batches and did my first Barleywine last Sunday. It was pretty standard 5 gallon recipe:

18.5# Pale Ale Malt
1.5# C-60
4 oz Carapils
4 oz Wheat Malt

I mashed a little lower then I wanted, 150F for 75 min, batch sparge, 75 min boil. I wound up with 5.25g of 1.091 Wort which I pitched onto a WY1056 cake from a previous pale ale batch. Fermented for 6 days, around 66-68F. I checked it today and its at 1.012, so a lllllittle dry!

I am going to dry hop it for 10 days and then transfer to a secondary for 2-3 months and then bottle and age until Fall/Winter 2013.

My questions - I would like to add some lactose at bottling, or to the secondary to sweeten it a bit and add some body. From what I understand 1# of Lactose in a 5 gallon batch will add about 6 points of gravity, is this correct? Can someone explain to me how to calculate lactose affect on gravity?

Also, this beer is about 10.3% ABV. After 3 months in the secondary, will I need to add some fresh yeast at bottling?

Thanks in advance for your help. I've really enjoyed I'll I've read in the last few months.

Chris

Well, I would skip the dry hop, the age will disperse the aroma. If you really need to dry hop, wait untill prior to bottle. My last barleywine finished at 1.014 with 12% ABV, myself and lots of others thought it was great. The extended boil gives body and character. Have you tried it? Does it taste bland? Personally, I have never used lactose, so I cannot help there. Maybe some age on oak or cherrywood instead?

Coosabrew -

I did try the hydrometer sample, but after 6 days and ~80 points it pretty much only tasted like hot alcohol. It didn't have much hop or malt character. Did you find this with the BW you did? I'm sure it will be good with age, just trying to find out what to expect.

Also, what aging schedule did you use? Did you have any problems bottle carbing, or do you keg?

Yes, I do remember the heat of alcohol and not much else. Primary for 1 month, secondary one month, aged on cherrywood chips for 3 months, then bottled with 2/3 cup dextrose sugar, and carbed up nice. 1 year from boil to mouth. Made 10 gallons and handed out as Christmas presents. Did not add yeast for bottle.

Very cool, thanks for the responses! I'm intrigued by adding wood, thinking about oak. Like a dry, malty chardonnay:D Did you add wood to the secondary, or rack to a tertiary?

Racked to a corny keg and kept it under the house. Boil the wood for a bit if you go that route, to sanitize. Wood is cool, helps to smooth things out. Could also add an alcohol, like brandy or whisky or even wine to the wood.

I like the cherry. Does not taste like cherry, just gives it a smooth flavor. Did about 3 handfulls per 5 gallon keg. Got it from a BBQ store. They were little chunks. Bourban and oak would be awesome. Working on a imperial oatmeal stout recipe that will sit on oak and bourban.

I'm gonna rack to secondary next week, and add two ounces of oak (don't know what the LHBS has yet), soaked in bourbon (not sure what type yet, i only have irish whisky at home) for about 3-4 days. Plan is to tasted it every 2 weeks until I get the oak flavor I like, then let it go 2 more weeks and bottle. Age until September/October.

I'm going to bottle one sample when I get the oak flavor and see what happens in 2 weeks at room temp. If there is not any carb in the sample I will added a tsp or 2 of dry yeast when I bottle the main batch 2 weeks later. This is a fun addiction, er hobby...

I'd probably err in favor of using a better bourbon. Would think Makers Mark would be as low as I'd go, and probably as high as I would go as well.

How much bourbon do I want to add..I'm thinking 8 oz in a 5g batch should be enough..I'm just looking for a hint of the spirit and oak..also not much of a bourbon guy, I perfer scotch or irish whisk(e)ys, so I was just going to buy what ever they have pint size..I want to do this with an octoberfest/marzen later this spring/summer

How much bourbon do I want to add..I'm thinking 8 oz in a 5g batch should be enough..I'm just looking for a hint of the spirit and oak..also not much of a bourbon guy, I perfer scotch or irish whisk(e)ys, so I was just going to buy what ever they have pint size..I want to do this with an octoberfest/marzen later this spring/summer

If you don't like bourbon then why not just use Scotch or Irish whiskey. I just soaked some oak cubes in Scotch and have them sitting in a Barleywine in secondary right now. There's no rule that says you have to use Bourbon. You'll probably like the finished beer better with a whisk(e)y you prefer. And that's what it's all about; making beer that you like!

If you're not big on bourbon then 8oz will be too much. 4oz would be better for just a hint of flavor.

Transferred to secondary today, taste has rounded out a bit. Most of the the hot alcohol flavor has gone and there is a little bit of malt present now, not much hop presence. my fermentation (aging?) schedule changed a little bit. I'm going to leave it in secondary at 64f for a month before adding the oak cubes. I already have these soaking in whiskey to really pull some of the oak flavor out. Pretty excited for this, going to be a nice warmer next winter.

Tried this today, it's been on oak for about 8 weeks, going to give it 2 more weeks and then pull the oak. its got a nice presence but is not over powering by any means. There is a nice subtle sweetness and still has a bit of warmth, its 10.63%. Gravity has dropped 2 pts since I added the oak. Will leave it in the carboy until July and then bottle. I am stoked with this!

Back