Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Baker's Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #21
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

So in general.. is bakers yeast Top fermenting?? Did anyone try lager temps during the fermenting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #22
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Hmm, so this is an interesting thread considering what I just read in Radical Brewing.

It has a recipe for a traditional Finnish brew called Sahti which calls for bread yeast... actually it calls for a lot of things... and I really find myself wanting to make it! OG ~1.062, 71% pils, 9% aromatic/dark munich, 9% malted rye, 7% dark crystal/special B, 4% malted rye smoked over pine, spruce and juniper berries. Crushed juniper berries also added to the boil.

Sounds absolutely delicious... but is it really a good idea to use bread yeast? Recipe says to use no more than 1/4 small cake (whatever that is) but I just worry I would be terribly disappointed when it tastes like liquid juniper sourdough.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #23
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
So in general.. is bakers yeast Top fermenting?? Did anyone try lager temps during the fermenting?
It's top fermenting. On the August 31, 2006 Basic Brewing Radio podcast someone who knows more than me said baker's yeast is a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae; i.e., ale yeast. I just let it ferment at room temperature - 65F-70F.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Reason: Originally wrote "bottom fermenting" instead of "top." Up, down, right, left... whatever...

Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #24
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So I had an thought when seeing this thread. I know you can make beer with bread yeast, but I was told the breadiness can be very overpowering as I am sure plenty of people have already said. However, what if you used this with a nice simple semi-dark grain bill (SRM finishing around 18-20), and mixed in plenty of ginger, honey, and cinnamon. Would it produce a nice pronounced gingerbread flavor for a christmas gingerbread ale? Me wonders....

Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #25
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I didn't taste any overpowering bread flavor at all. There is no strong flavor - off or otherwise - that I associate with coming from the yeast. My recipe was just pilsen DME for OG 1.056, and fuggles and ekg hops to 35 ibu. This was a 1/2 gallon batch. I used one packet of the Fleishman's Rapid Rise bread yeast. I'm sure if I used a different yeast with the same recipe I'd be able to identify the yeast's flavors. But this beer came out more or less how you might expect from the recipe.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #26
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I've made bread from beer yeast, I've made a starter culture from the ale yeast. As I recall, I used the goodies at the bottom of a 22 oz. size bottle of one of the Unibroue, or perhaps it was Allagash Belgians (about 1/2c of liquid as I recall), with a pinch or two of sugar and warm (70-80F) water, put it all in a sterilized mason jar with enough bread flour to make a batter, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let it sit in a warm kitchen until it starts to show signs of life. It's a similar process used to get a sourdough culture restarted. You have to tend to it over the course of a few days, until you've got about 2 c. of "starter" (which sort of resembles a paste). It should smell sour, but with a good fruity / yeasty smell to it.

Unfortunately I'm so used to doing sourdough starters now that I just do it by habit more than recipe. Oddly enough, breadmaking seems very similar to homebrewing - patience and experimentation go a long way towards making edible happiness.

Reason: clarification .. since I didn't quote the post I was responding to. bad girl.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #27
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
When I've made bread from beer yeast, I've made a starter culture from the ale yeast. As I recall, I used the goodies at the bottom of a 22 oz. size bottle of one of the Unibroue, or perhaps it was Allagash Belgians (about 1/2c of liquid as I recall), with a pinch or two of sugar and warm (70-80F) water, put it all in a sterilized mason jar with enough bread flour to make a batter, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let it sit in a warm kitchen until it starts to show signs of life. It's a similar process used to get a sourdough culture restarted. You have to tend to it over the course of a few days, until you've got about 2 c. of "starter" (which sort of resembles a paste). It should smell sour, but with a good fruity / yeasty smell to it.

Unfortunately I'm so used to doing sourdough starters now that I just do it by habit more than recipe. Oddly enough, breadmaking seems very similar to homebrewing - patience and experimentation go a long way towards making edible happiness.
This is pretty much what I do. preferments = starters. needed for proper bread, imho. sourdough included. I use it for everything that's not a sweet bread (unless I'm doing a really special occasion one, and I convert my sourdough starter to a sweet italian starter for them). who needs commercial yeast anyway?
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #28
chickenwort
Recipes 

I just brewed up a new 5 gal batch, kind of a hodge podge of ingredients including 9 lbs of lme, 2 lbs of chocolate malt, 3 cups of smoked cherry malt and 1 lb of blackberry pie filling, yumm. I got to use my new 8 gal brewpot.
Anyway, so the Wymans tube of yeast I bought was dead and against my better judgement I am going to go into my pantry and dip into the yeast! Yes I know I will probably wreck all of my hard work but I have to try.

I will post and let you all know how it turns out!!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #29
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

There's a reason this thread has been dead for almost 3 years. Out of curiosity, I'll bite though.... how did you know that your vial of yeast was dead? And what exactly is wymans yeast? (I did a search and the only thing I got was a 1988 yeast study by a guy named Wyman.)

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply