Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Baker's Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
This is how I got started way back in 1986 when I did my first brews. They were drinkable but man on man were they the book definition of hooch!

I am going to try to make some bread with brewing yeast from my yeast cake tomorrow.

m.

now that works great! I have done that and the dirtier the yeast is the better for bread!... not so uch for beer. I've done my jalepeno beer bread with a 3rd gen. yeast from several porters and used some spent grains in the bread too and WOW best bread yet!... I've also done a dog biscuit with spent grain, and brew trub... for the neighbors dogs... they couldn't get enough. the dog biscuits smelled so good when I was baking them I tried a taste... not too shabby! Also supossedly yeast keeps fleas off your dogs. b-12 works for humans too (brewers yeast has tons of b12!) for mosquitos... don't know about fleas...

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #12
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3474 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
Also supossedly yeast keeps fleas off your dogs. b-12 works for humans too (brewers yeast has tons of b12!)
So can you verify that you are now flea-free?

Old 05-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #13
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
So can you verify that you are now flea-free?
lol posted before I edited... yes no fleas... but i'm still an old dog!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #14
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

+1 to bread with beer yeast. that's how I use up my yeast cakes. I usually do it like a poolish or biga pre-ferment, with equal parts (by weight) flour and water, with some of the cake added in, left to ferment and get a bunch of flavor overnight. Then I mix the final dough in the morning, adding a bit more of the fresh yeast at mixing. amazing.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
+1 to bread with beer yeast. that's how I use up my yeast cakes. I usually do it like a poolish or biga pre-ferment, with equal parts (by weight) flour and water, with some of the cake added in, left to ferment and get a bunch of flavor overnight. Then I mix the final dough in the morning, adding a bit more of the fresh yeast at mixing. amazing.
add some spent grains and WOW! really nice! crusty from yeast, and grainy from spent grains.... got the tip from cook at Stoudts Black Angus in Adamstown PA (the restaurant associated with Stoudt's brewing company)

Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riromero View Post
I have the opposite curiosity. Can I make bread with beer yeast?

Traditionally bread is made with leftover beer yeast. I have done it plenty of times... I tend to back breads and bring them with me to other peoples houses... It's never happened but it could quite embarassing to get pulled over. It makes you and your car smell like a brewery.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #17
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Tasting the bread yeast beer experiment now... Not bad. Nothing great, but nothing wrong with it. There is no flavor here that makes me think this is something I should never do again. Tastes like beer.

I got 72% attenuation.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #18
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Oddly enough, I actually made bread (before I got the homebrewing bug) from a yeast culture I started from some beer yeast (from a bottle of one of my favorite Belgian style brews). It took a long time to rise, and produced a bread that wasn't half bad, but a little odd. The little buggers definitely seem to have a preference for what type of work they like to do.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
riromero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So what's a ballpark estimate for the amount of ale yeast slurry to use for a loaf of bread? Assuming I keep the dregs of my carboy after primary fermentation.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #20
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riromero View Post
So what's a ballpark estimate for the amount of ale yeast slurry to use for a loaf of bread? Assuming I keep the dregs of my carboy after primary fermentation.
when doing a "direct dough method" bread I have no idea, when I'm doing a preferment I use about a 1/4 of slurry to make into a 300g perferment, into a few loafs. I really don't use a recipe, but a percentage table.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply