Bad Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I made my starter yesterday, for a brew today. As I poured the smack pack into the vial, I noticed that the yeast was coming out in clumps, which I've never seen before. Checking the starter today before I start crushing the grain, I see no krausen on the side of the vial, and the starter looks more like Egg Drop soup than what it usually looks like.
Do I have a bad batch of yeast? I used Wyeast 1968 (London ESB), the smack pack was swelling when I pitched it.......

Nothing wrong at all, I'd suggest that Wy1968 is just like that, its the most amazingly flocculant yeast you can imagine. The Egg Drop soup is simply the yeast flocculating when it's finished fermenting, most likely it got it over and done with before you even noticed. I use a stir-plate and the Wy1968 flocculates as soon as it's finished fermenting even while it's still being stirred. :)

+1 to the above

Some varieties are just chunkier than others and 1968 definitely is one of the chunky kinds.

I used 1968 recently and that stuff is really sweet. Clumps up like crazy. Just make sure you don't let it ferment too warm or it can produce some pretty over bearing esters.

Latest posts

Back