Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bad Wyeast Pack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
BugAC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Bad Wyeast Pack

I made a yeast starter yesterday from my all-grain kit (AHS Summer Crisp IPA) that came in thursday. Well, it's been 12 hours and there is nothing going on in the erlinmeyer flask.

My kit shipped from Austin Homebrew Supply. I think the heat may have killed the yeast. The pack didn't swell when smacked.

Any suggestions for an alternative type of yeast? I may have to run to the local brew store and pick up a different type. But their selection isn't the best.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
sillbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugAC View Post
I made a yeast starter yesterday from my all-grain kit (AHS Summer Crisp IPA) that came in thursday. Well, it's been 12 hours and there is nothing going on in the erlinmeyer flask.

My kit shipped from Austin Homebrew Supply. I think the heat may have killed the yeast. The pack didn't swell when smacked.

Any suggestions for an alternative type of yeast? I may have to run to the local brew store and pick up a different type. But their selection isn't the best.
Mine did the same thing from another supplier and even tried a yeast starter and that didn't work after 2 days. I called them yesterday and they are going to ship out another Wyeast pack filled with ice packs.

I think in the summer months I'll pay the extra shipping to have it shipped faster. The alternative is you may eventually get a good yeast pack but it will delay your brew.

- Destin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply