Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bad Nottingham Experiment with Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
robertbartsch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

...looks like a quality control issue to me....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Rover
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like I said, you're playing Russian Roulette with this batch.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
...looks like a quality control issue to me....

It probably something as simple as how they were stacked. I know from stacking sod, that if you pile stuff too high, the product on the bottom gets burnt up. That would explain why some are good and some are bad. If they stacked them too high when shipping from Austria, the distributors who got the packets from the bottom are screwed, and everyone who gets the packets from the middle and top 2/3 have no problem.

I'm heading back to the LHBS to upgrade to White Labs until this gets sorted out. Saturday is my brew day. It's my first all-grain, so I don't want to 'wait and see' if it works out. I'm like a teenage virgin girl who wants my first time to be perfect.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
robertbartsch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not an engineer and I don't have a science background, but if certain packets from the same yeast lot are good and others are bad, I have to think it might be a result of how this lot was packaged.

I would be less suspect of the handling issues but I assume this could be a cause also.

I have not used this yeast before but I do have 4 packages at home. Until this gets sorted out, however, I will use another yeast.

I'm I correct that there are two different lots of Nottingham that are now suspect? One lot was recalled by the manufacturor last year; right?

From a marketing point of view, I can't imagine a more dire situation than having two lots of yeast go bad back-to-back. ...if true, this would be a business disaster for the company.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
soundsandsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bought two packets to repitch a batch of Ale that started at 1.065 and stopped at 1.036.
Both packets are from lot 1080961099V. Repitched dry yeast a week ago with yeast energizer. Not even a slight movement in gravity.
Today I tried rehydrating first. No signs of any activity in the rehydration jar after an hour, and down the toilet it goes.
Picking up some Coopers or some Mauri today and trying again. (I really don't want to spring for another smack-pack on this one.)

Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #26
Cipper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
From a marketing point of view, I can't imagine a more dire situation than having two lots of yeast go bad back-to-back. ...if true, this would be a business disaster for the company.
I think the biggest threat to the company is the idiots
on this newsgroup.

Chris
Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #27
soundsandsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipper View Post
on this newsgroup.

Chris
I think the biggest threat to this forum is the idiots on here who can't believe that there's a bad batch despite the fact that the same problems are happening to a lot of people.
Just because the yeast is working for some people doesn't mean other packages aren't faulty. And the repeated blaming of people for problems that may have been caused by the yeast is really frustrating.
Don't blame the company's quality control issues on the brewers using the product.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #28
Cipper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsandsuds View Post
I think the biggest threat to this forum is the idiots on here who can't believe that there's a bad batch despite the fact that the same problems are happening to a lot of people.
Just because the yeast is working for some people doesn't mean other packages aren't faulty. And the repeated blaming of people for problems that may have been caused by the yeast is really frustrating.
Don't blame the company's quality control issues on the brewers using the product.
Well, somebody gave me a thumbs up!

Chris
Shooter Likes This 
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipper View Post
on this newsgroup.

Chris
I don't think name calling is a good way to make your point. If you have something productive to add to this discussion great. If not, I don't think anyone really wants to hear your obnoxious drivel.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #30
knightbeer39
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think it's Nottinghams fault that people are "idiots" and that other people spout "obnoxious drivel." To test this theory, I rehydrated some Nottinghams and then came back and checked this forum. And voila! there were still idiots AND obnoxious drivel, showing that Notty's is clearly responsible for both!

Primary
2013 spring IPA
Secondary
empty
Kegged
White Christmas ale
Bottled
Holiday Porter, Grilled Pumpkin Ale
trigger Likes This 

Quick Reply