The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bad Nottingham Experiment with Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #11
rollinred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To the OP...

Ignore all of these replies that are brushing this post off as insignificant.

You are completely correct with what you are doing and it shows that Notty has a problem right now. You do make one mistake in assuming that the yeast sticking to the side is bad. This is simply static electricity that is unstoppable. The amount of yeast left over is not a problem at all if the rest of it that got in the wort is healthy.

For some reason people did not acknowledge that you mixed this with sugars to actually see if fermentation was taking place. I agree that there is no way to tell except for giving it time. And in your experiment time is not an issue so more power to you.

I am one who has had my last two of three Notty packets go to sheit. The one was the same numbers as the bad batch. I pitched it anyway to try and save myself a couple bucks but expected that it would not work. I ended up pitching a different lot number and it worked very well. I assumed that the bad batch was the problem and it was my attempt to save money that led to no fermentation.

This last week I brewed and attempted to rehydrate a batch of Notty from a completely different lot number... No activity at rehydration and no ferment. I know this Notty package was not of the bad lot... I did check that. Since I had never had a bad Notty satchet other than the bad lot I never assumed I would have any other problems. Well I was wrong. This packet was bad also. I ended up having to pitch a Muton's sachet just to start fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 AM   #12
skidaddytn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

can't draw any conclusions here until the OP follows up... he kinda left this thing hangin....

I've never had trouble with nottingham... but I've had other dry yeast packets which didn't proof.. I pitched them anyway and EVENTUALLY they started... maybe I didn't get as good as results as I would have hoped with the late bloomers....

Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great pictures! Bottom line is that this yeast did not "proof". Please continue to keep us apraised of any developments. I have anothe pack of this yeast lot and I think I will try the same experiment today.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenChief View Post
Great pictures! Bottom line is that this yeast did not "proof". Please continue to keep us apraised of any developments. I have anothe pack of this yeast lot and I think I will try the same experiment today.
When I used to rehydrate it never "proofed" in water, regardless of the brand of yeast or the strain. Lallemand and Fermentis yeasts have both looked like that before pitching.

Proofing requires some kind of sugar solution, like wort.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2944 Times on 1870 Posts
Likes Given: 2486

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenite View Post
When I used to rehydrate it never "proofed" in water, regardless of the brand of yeast or the strain. Lallemand and Fermentis yeasts have both looked like that before pitching.

Proofing requires some kind of sugar solution, like wort.
He did add sugar.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

To make this a fair experiment, I went by the packet directions verbatim. I, like most people, usually just pitch the yeast directly to wort when making beer, I only rehydrate etc when making higher gravity stuff. But since this is an experiment on whether or not it's a bad packet, I had to go by the directions on the packet.

The packet says not to add sugar for rehydration. Therefore, I didn't.

As of this morning, the gravity in the test is actually higher, 1.031 from some evaporation I suppose. I don't know why else it would be different. I suppose the fact it's 10 degrees cooler could alter it, but I thought that worked in the other direction, I'm not totally clear on that.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
He did add sugar.
He added sugar after and has not posted anything yet about that. He mentions not seeing any "activity" while rehydrating the packet and my comment was that I have NEVER seen activity while rehydrating a yeast packet, regardless of the brand.

It seems as though everyone posting that they are continuously not having any issues with this batch are being completely ignored and people are focusing on the people who are having problems. The numbers are about equal and I'm not 100% sure the yeast is to blame yet. Especially since I'm drinking my second very tasty beer brewed with this yeast, one that went from 1.044->1.009 in a matter of a few days from pitching and had a 4 hour lag period.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #18
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenite View Post
He added sugar after and has not posted anything yet about that. He mentions not seeing any "activity" while rehydrating the packet and my comment was that I have NEVER seen activity while rehydrating a yeast packet, regardless of the brand.

With Lalvin EC-1118, and REd Star P. Cuvee, and even with Fleischmann's for some old timey recipies, I've always seen activity during rehydration. The reason I've never seen activity during rehydration with beer yeast is because I normally don't rehydrate it. So, it's completely normal for me to have expected to see some activity during rehydration.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch78 View Post
As of this morning, the gravity in the test is actually higher, 1.031 from some evaporation I suppose. I don't know why else it would be different. I suppose the fact it's 10 degrees cooler could alter it, but I thought that worked in the other direction, I'm not totally clear on that.
Density increases as temperature decreases. Hence, higher SG after it cooled down more.
1. Dry Stout 2. Dry Stout 3. Cali Common 4. Cali Common 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, German Pils (lagering), Oatmeal Blonde x2

Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok - I duplicated Fletch78's experiment. However, my yeast was obviously "good" yeast. It rehydrated well in 76 degree water. Five minutes after pitching my yeast had a nice layer of foam on top. After 20 minutes it was actually bubbling and the foam was about 1 inch thick.

Conclusion: My yeast (Nottingham) tested good. Fletch's yeast was not so good....

Quick Reply