Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is it bad to check beer often?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If done smartly and sanitary, not a problem a all. I start my fermentations with the lid just sitting loose on top, not snapped down, so I can easily take a peek daily for the first several days to make sure everything is looking ok. After 3-5 days I snap the lid down and let it ride out for another 10-14 days before opening it up to get a gravity reading.

Of course, if you are not smart/sanitary about it, you run the risk of f-ing it up. But that is true pretty much throughout the process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2631 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I personally don't open the top on batches fermenting in buckets until its most likely time to bottle. About 3 weeks usually is what I wait. I see no need to be fiddling around with it every day. What could possibly be gained by doing so? I personally feel there's not enough positives to outweigh the negatives of constantly opening up the fermenter. Sometimes (especially new) brewers want to feel like they're doing something and lack the patience to just let the yeast do its job, so they they're constantly looking in the bucket, moving it around, and worrying about whether the krausen looks normal or not. Besides maybe one peak to confirm the start of fermentation, the best thing to do is just to let it sit and do its thing.

Long story short, Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply