Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bad bad notty!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #81
ILuvIPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I chimed in as a newb (post #60 - 9 packs of notty on-hand, no backup, no local HBS, and was heading into brew day.)

Just reporting back: I proofed per forum advice (thanks RavenChief!) 30 minutes later the 4oz slurry had foamed to almost 8oz in the graduated pyrex (& had that nice bread/yeasty smell.) Pitched last night about 9:45 and 14 hrs later the krausen is starting to rise in the bucket.

This is only my 5th batch using notty (moved from smack packs) but I like the taste in my IPAs. Don't think I'm ready to give up on notty. Will use the remaining 8 packs - proofing as I go and order a few SA-5 both for backup and to compare. Thanks for the guidance all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #82
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have been using this batch with no issues.. however the fact that YOOP has had some issues tells me that this is a real deal and not noob paranoia. I just pitched a barleywine onto a yeast cake of this batch PLUS have two starters going from washed yeast from this lot right now...so far so good. The barleywine required a blowoff tube after only about 6-7 hours.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply