Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bad bad notty!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #21
Rover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have an issue,

I have four more packs of this lot. I've had two batches go bad from AustinHBS, I bought the last four packs of this lot# on a road trip through Ohio.
My last brew with this purchase was the Fat Squirrel clone. I just tasted a sample of the brew and I can understand why it received an award. In other words, the pitch was good.

Should I send back the remaining packs, or should I brew with what has worked so far.

My gut tells me I shouldn't risk a four hour brew day, but the last pack worked. What should I do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #22
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If I just pitched it and it doesn't turn out, can I send them the empty packets?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #23
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
FWIW's during the last recall, the shipped back more than I shipped in to cover postage...
Except they replaced it with an equally bad batch.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #24
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
I have an issue,

I have four more packs of this lot. I've had two batches go bad from AustinHBS, I bought the last four packs of this lot# on a road trip through Ohio.
My last brew with this purchase was the Fat Squirrel clone. I just tasted a sample of the brew and I can understand why it received an award. In other words, the pitch was good.

Should I send back the remaining packs, or should I brew with what has worked so far.

My gut tells me I shouldn't risk a four hour brew day, but the last pack worked. What should I do?
Boil water with a little sugar and let it cool to the high end of the rehydrate range and through the yeast in. If it looks normal after an hour, use it, otherwise have a backup.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #25
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 2104

Great. I've got 12 gallons of Graf pitched with this lot# of Notty; and I've got another packet in the fridge. This is the 2nd recall for Nottingham in what, a year? 6 months? I'll return my remaining packet to the LHBS & start using another brand of yeast. I guess I'll just have to wait & see how my Graf turns out. (crosses fingers)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #26
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah I used this notty as well recently and because of being busy I was unable to purchase a new pack of yeast to pitch (should've had a spare) and it actually finally just started showing signs of fermentation, (krausen and SG changes). It took upwards of 100 hours to start. I just hope it doesn't have any hint of infection, especially since I opened the bucket and checked the gravity on day 3 and there had still been nothing.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #27
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I said it before, but it's worth saying again. Notty can suck it! I'll never EVER use it again, even if they did offer to reimburse me for the 15 gallons of beer it ruined.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #28
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is the email I received from Danstar support when questioning the original poster. (No I am not sorry for doubting, it is the internet after all & good on you OP for helping to spread the word! )...

Quote:
Yes this is true, but the information was released to our distributors and retailer just yesterday so we need it to "get to the marketplace" via retailers to homebrewers. I will be sending information about this to homebrewing forums in the coming days to allow a few days for retailers to get notification first as we want them to be ready for any consumer requests to return the sachets from this batch. As stated below, we feel there is concern among homebrewers regarding this batch so we would like to remove it from the market as we investigate the nature of any problem.

Thanks very much for contacting us. Your support is genuinely appreciated.

Keith Lemcke
Danstar & Lalvin yeast

Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #29
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Boil water with a little sugar and let it cool to the high end of the rehydrate range and through the yeast in. If it looks normal after an hour, use it, otherwise have a backup.
Just my $.02 but I wouldn't use those remaining sachets. If your beer turns out to be a "clove/phenol bomb" like Yooper's did you'll not likely be a happy camper! I've got a sachet from this lot and will be returning it to my LHBS the next time I'm there to pick up some ingredients.

FWIW - I've got a batch of CTZ IPA going with Notty right now (different lot #) and it tastes fine, I'll be washing the yeast and saving it since I know it's good.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Just my $.02 but I wouldn't use those remaining sachets. If your beer turns out to be a "clove/phenol bomb" like Yooper's did you'll not likely be a happy camper! I've got a sachet from this lot and will be returning it to my LHBS the next time I'm there to pick up some ingredients.

FWIW - I've got a batch of CTZ IPA going with Notty right now (different lot #) and it tastes fine, I'll be washing the yeast and saving it since I know it's good.
I agree. I spent a fortune (it was an IPA) on ingredients. Now, if it was only a 5 gallon batch, I could blame it on me. Like fermentation temperatures, bacterial contamination, etc. But it was a 10 gallon batch- and only 5 with Nottingham. It still could be something I did, I suppose- like a bacterial contamination in the fermenter.

However, I brewed the batch as one ten gallon batch, sanitized two fermenters (exactly the same pails, exactly the same age) but otherwise split the batch evenly. Both started fermented within a day- pitched at 64 degrees initally, but it dropped to 62 degrees within 24 hours. The S05 batch tastes awesome, and I'm actually having a glass now. The notty batch was poured on the grass this afternoon, after giving it a bit more time in case that was the issue. Terribly phenolic.

Now, phenols to me scream "bacterial contamination". I don't know the reason for the recall, but since I had fermentation start up right away, I didn't worry too much about it. Now, I'm wondering about bacterial counts in the yeast. Is that an issue at all? I wonder.

Quick Reply