The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bad bad notty!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
I brewed an Imperial Stout 3 weeks ago with this batch of Nottingham yeast. It was slow to start fermenting (I rehydrated and fermented at 64F) but there were no off flavors. My imperial stout tasted young but not phenolic.

I got in touch with the HBS that sold me the Nottingham and they told me that they were not aware of any problems with this batch number. The HBS told me that 64F was at the lower end of an ale yeast to properly ferment. /shrug
Nah, even Lallemand states that nottingham's ideal fermentation temperature range is 57-70 degrees. I've fermented lager-like ales at 60 degrees with this yeast before. But I'm done with it now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
Nah, even Lallemand states that nottingham's ideal fermentation temperature range is 57-70 degrees. I've fermented lager-like ales at 60 degrees with this yeast before. But I'm done with it now.
I'm with you, Yooper. I've personally had good experiences with Notty, but given all the problems recently I think I'm going to switch to S05 for my go-to dry yeast.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I'm more inclined to trust someone with 25K+ posts and years of brewing experience who doesn't want to sell me something. I've got 2 packets of this batch in my frig. Looks like i'll be tossing them.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is
than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
theschick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got two packs of this as well, what a joke. It'll probably cost me more than $3 to ship them to their office than it will be to replace them.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5984 Times on 5252 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschick View Post
I've got two packs of this as well, what a joke. It'll probably cost me more than $3 to ship them to their office than it will be to replace them.
FWIW's during the last recall, the shipped back more than I shipped in to cover postage...

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
I'm more inclined to trust someone with 25K+ posts and years of brewing experience who doesn't want to sell me something. I've got 2 packets of this batch in my frig. Looks like i'll be tossing them.
DON'T toss them! Contact the store you got them from. I've already contacted Brewmaster's Warehouse, and he'll replace them when he gets his new shipment in (and returns all of the "bad" stuff). I only have two left, and they aren't expensive, but it's my feeling that Lallemand should replace all of the bad packages. If you just toss them, they really don't know how many of us are upset.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #17
Rover
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow Yopper,
The day you complain they issue a recall. They must have been waiting for a bigwig to confirm.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Can individuals return to the the manufacturer, or just retailers? I have four sachets of the bad lot that I bought from 2 different retailers. I think I'm gonna brew a bad batch with it, force myself to drink it, and return it "post-consumption". And they needn't feel obligated to return "additional packets" for my trouble.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Wow Yopper,
The day you complain they issue a recall. They must have been waiting for a bigwig to confirm.
LOL! That's funny.

The only good thing about this is that I was going to use some Notty today, as I brewed this afternoon. But I grabbed out the S05 since I'm making an APA. I would have been really irritated had I used nottingham (with the recalled numbers) in it! I pitched the S05, then dumped the IPA with the bad notty package still taped to the top of the fermenter, then saw these posts!

Brewmaster's Warehouse wrote back right away with both Lallemand's address and his own, and told me to send it to either place. Since Lallemand is in Canada, it's cheaper to send back to Brewmaster's Warehouse, and he was ok with it. It's only two packages (and one dumped batch) but I'm glad I didn't pitch one of those packages in todays brew!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Not on you at all, Lorena.

I have watched and shook my head, watched and shook my head. I have seen certain vendors here 'take the devils advocate' side by trying to silence home brewer's publicly question the quality and state their experience with this yeast, even when there have been previous ACKNOWLEDGED issues with the yeast, so when they look dubious they have taught squelching controversy to preserve their bottom line.

I have advocated using S-05 or at least S-04 without trying to weigh in amidst the guys who slash and burn and flame those that reported problems, by insinuating it was all them, their practices or their luck, just because they themselves had not experienced it.

Had a larger majority of home brewers taken due caution and boycotted when controversy arose, I suspect that these issues woulda, coulda, shoulda been taken care of far quicker and with far less damage to the other home brewer's pocket books. There was ample cause for concern and leeriness from way back.

Shame on those that kicked rather than listened. Shame on those that counseled for quiet and chastised to not allow public experience statements.

Emotion does not make good beer. Due diligence and careful choices do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Quick Reply