New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bad bad notty!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
bullinachinashop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Bad bad notty!

The bad batch has been recalled! lot #1080961099v
Bull

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

October 6, 2010

Over the last few weeks we have received several inquiries from homebrewers regarding Nottingham lot #1080961099V exp. date 12/2011 stating that they were experiencing slow start of fermentation and/or poor fermentation performance. Internal tests conducted on a cross-section of sachets of this batch over several weeks have indicated normal performance, but given the widespread geographical nature of the comments being received, we feel it is best to ask retailers and distributors to return any inventory of this specific batch rather than risk brewers having a negative experience with our products.

If you have Nottingham batch #1080961099V exp. date 12/2011 still in your inventory, please return it for exchange.

Please return the yeast to:
Lallemand Inc.
Attn: Marie Coppet
6100 Royalmount
Montreal, QC, Canada
H4P 2R2

Any inquiries about return logistics can be addressed to mcoppet@lallemand.com.

Replacement inventory of Nottingham may be several weeks away as we are transferring our packaging operations to another location, requiring down-time for set-up of packaging equipment and infrastructure. We have also invested in a new sachet packaging line which we anticipate commissioning early next year. This is part of our commitment to ongoing product improvement and ensuring brewers have a great experience with our yeast. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you will bear with us as we work to address this issue in the coming weeks. Your cooperation and support of Danstar products are greatly appreciated.

Keith Lemcke
Marketing Manager

Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Did you receive this as an email or was it posted somewhere? I can't find it on their site.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You're making that up. Don't hate on the Notty.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

blub blub blub blub blah blah blah

keep the rumors in the girls locker room (or post proof)

Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I was planning on washing what I have going now anyhow. Now it turns out if I don't, I won't have any Notty for a while.....

Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3856 Times on 2817 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I just dumped a batch before I saw this posting.

I made a 10 gallon batch of my favorite IPA, on 09/09. I pitched S05 in one fermenter, notty (this lot #) in the other.

I went to keg it last week, and the S05 batch was awesome. The notty, not so much. It was phenolic and cloudy. I kegged the one and went back this morning to check on the other. It's bad. It's terribly phenolic, although it was fermented at 62 degrees. It's cleared quite a bit, and not sour like lacto, but it's not drinkable. It just got poured out about 15 minutes ago.

I came in and saw this post, and checked the lot# (I had the yeast package taped to the fermenter lid that I used for both fermenters) and sure enough, I used that "bad" lot number. The other two packages of notty I have in the fridge are the same lot #, too.

I'm really frustrated because I've been one of the biggest supporters of nottingham yeast and sort of pooh-poohed the complaints as a one-time thing. Not any more.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
Lallemand Inc.
Attn: Marie Coppet
6100 Royalmount
Montreal, QC, Canada
H4P 2R2
Is this even the right mailing address for Dan Star? I looked online and can find nothing with the above address listed. Just for fun I cut and forwarded this to the support @ Dan Star from the Dan Star site. We shall see....

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
It was phenolic and cloudy. I kegged the one and went back this morning to check on the other. It's bad. It's terribly phenolic, although it was fermented at 62 degrees. It's cleared quite a bit, and not sour like lacto, but it's not drinkable.

I'm really frustrated because I've been one of the biggest supporters of nottingham yeast and sort of pooh-poohed the complaints as a one-time thing. Not any more.
Dude, I hear ya! That's the same thing that happened to me! I ended up with two undrinkable batches of beer with that lot # and both fermented at 60ºF! I don't like that it's happened again, I'm done with Notty. I really did like it for a long time but I do not have the confidence that it will be a clean fermentation... bummer dudes![\2¢]

Old 10-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed an Imperial Stout 3 weeks ago with this batch of Nottingham yeast. It was slow to start fermenting (I rehydrated and fermented at 64F) but there were no off flavors. My imperial stout tasted young but not phenolic.

I got in touch with the HBS that sold me the Nottingham and they told me that they were not aware of any problems with this batch number. The HBS told me that 64F was at the lower end of an ale yeast to properly ferment. /shrug

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is
than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Quick Reply