Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Bacteria and yeast cells pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Bizoune
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bacteria and yeast cells pictures

So I just picked up a 400X microscope from the science teacher at the school where I teach. A few weeks ago, a pro brewer told me that my brown ale was infected. So in the name of science, I figured that checking "up close" would confirm his observations or not. But I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. Yeast cells are obvious but how about bacteria? Anybody can help out with some shots of bacteria and yeast together to help me figure out what's going on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

It depends on the bacteria. If it is a bacillus (Lactobacillus), they will be tiny little rods at 400X. Here is a micrograph (400X) of some yeast I collected from one of my homebrews after racking from primary. The yeast, in a small amount of beer, sat for a few weeks in the refrigerator and developed the Lactobacillus infection. You can't really see them in the picture, but looking into the microscope, you could see tiny little Lactobacilli at 400X. To see bacteria better, you need oil immersion at 1000X. The bacteria are tiny compared to the yeast.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 03-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
optimatored
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizoune View Post
So I just picked up a 400X microscope from the science teacher at the school where I teach. A few weeks ago, a pro brewer told me that my brown ale was infected. So in the name of science, I figured that checking "up close" would confirm his observations or not. But I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. Yeast cells are obvious but how about bacteria? Anybody can help out with some shots of bacteria and yeast together to help me figure out what's going on?
from my experience (from taking microbiology) seeing any cells will be a challenge without proper staining. Bacteria in general are colorless and thus not visible. I am not sure if yeast cells need to be stained but will definitely help!

At 400x it will be hard to make out most shapes as the resolution on a 400x (high-dry) will be low. I am curious what you find.. let us know!

Bacteria that you could find are Bacillus (Rod shaped), and Cocci (round). Cocci can be is pairs, tetrads, chains, and groups. There are plenty more but I suspect that is what you could see with proper staining. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

There are some drawings in Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply