Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try San Diego Super Strain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #31
dankbru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

After a day and a half looks like most of the yeast has settled to the bottom of my starter this yeast is fast ! I'm thinking about pouring off the wort and pouring in some fresh , cooled off wort . I want to grow these yeast so I can save some before I pitch .

image-3261896558.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #32
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
You shouldn't have an airlock on the starter as you want to have gas exchange. Grab a piece of foil, spray some sanitizer on it, and loosely place it over the opening. That will keep anything from falling in while allowing CO2 and O2 exchange.
I generally agree with this advice, but I think it's poor form to give it to someone in the middle of growing a good starter. There are risks with a more open fermentation. Some people have a really bad time with just using foil (although the majority, myself included, has it work perfectly fine). If the guy has a beer in mind, I'd be inclined to leave it be and just gently point him in an alternative/better direction, rather than do something that can jeopardize a good sanitary starter for a beer he's already got in the works.

I ferment within 20 feet of my front door and I would never just use foil in the spring/summer/fall in light of the fact that an airlocked starter will be more sanitary (though less optimal) for any beer that I was really depending on coming out well. Airlocked starters have worked well for many years. It may not be the best possible option, but it's predictable and works fine. Do a search for "fruit fly in my starter" for an alternative opinion.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #33
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I just tested the samples from my two Bourbon County Stout clones. This was two 3.25 gallon batches (actually batch 1 came in around 3 gallons while batch 2 is probably closer to 3.75). I made the batches on successive days with identical grain bills, although I added more DME on the second batch because the first one was a bit light on fermentables, so I used the second batch to up the average. These will be combined for a full 6.5gal secondary. Here's what I got:

Batch 1 / Batch 2

OG 1.124 / 1.132 (Target was 1.129)
FG 1.033 / 1.036 (batch 2 still has a bubble every 30 seconds, so isn't done yet)
Attenuation: 73.4 / 72.9 (but batch 2 is still going a little bit)

I used a 2L starter (split between the two batches) and aerated with pure O2 before pitching. I probably slightly underpitched, to be honest.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #34
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot

I generally agree with this advice, but I think it's poor form to give it to someone in the middle of growing a good starter. There are risks with a more open fermentation. Some people have a really bad time with just using foil (although the majority, myself included, has it work perfectly fine). If the guy has a beer in mind, I'd be inclined to leave it be and just gently point him in an alternative/better direction, rather than do something that can jeopardize a good sanitary starter for a beer he's already got in the works....
Very good points Sir. In general, I go by advice given to me at my LBHS, these forums, and what I've read and try to pass what I've learned.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
toadspit26
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Love this yeast!

I have used it in a Pale Ale and a big Hopped Porter (more like a Black IPA). Both fermented fast (6 days or less), clean flavor profile and able to harvest and repitch. I do believe White Labs has added it to the regular lineup.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #36
dankbru
Recipes 

Just want to give an update ,brew day has finally ended whew ! My Og on my pale ale came out at 1.062 and wort has chilled to 75 degrees I'm pitching my starter of yeast white labs San diego super strain .....going into 68 degree fermentation lets see how it does ....

image-4177315436.jpg  

Quick Reply