Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #81
khugs21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just finished stepping up my starter for my next brew on Friday! Round two!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #82
cublue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, for those of you keeping score, some time ago I used this yeast on a batch of Yooper's Fat Sam Amber American Ale. I had some trouble with stuck ferment...then blow off overflow...then I overshot my final gravity... A real mess...

I tasted it from bottle tonight. Now this was my first time with this recipe. First thing I noticed was that the pour was clean, in that the bottle dregs were tight, no concern about yeast in the pour! Next was no real hop aroma, a little disappointing considering I dry hopped with a bit of cascade to compensate for the "hop muting" effects I had heard about.

The taste (bare in mind I overshot my final grav by like 6 points)...sweet and creamy!! Not the beer I was shooting for, but very enjoyable! Malty, with some roast flavor, with almost a creamy mouthfeel. The creamyness surprised me most. Deceptive for how much it dried out. Now as I said before, this was my first time with this recipe, so I cannot compare it to, say, safale 05. Hell, it may have been my mash, as I am still dialing in on that process. I think this recipe would've been better crisp, and may get there in the bottle with age.

Overall, a good yeast. I look forward to using it in the summer at higher temps. Or something maltier. Cannot "taste" anything I can attribute to the yeast (Esters,Phenols, etc), but wish some of the hops survived...

Well if you made it through this epic novella of a description, and have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #83
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

My hop bursted Zythos red ale has been in the keg for a few weeks and is now clear and bright and tastes as clean as us05 but seemed to take longer to get this point.

So, for slightly less money, and a seemingly quicker maturation with all things being equal, I'm sticking to us05. Danstar can keep their vacuum sealed packaging prices on this yeast

Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #84
kenais
Recipes 

Drinking my BRY-97 single hop which was hop burst and dry hopped with FF, 6oz total. Took it from 1.072 to 1.012 and if I recall it blew out the fermentor. S-05 is pretty much my house yeast and this was my first one with 97. I would need a SxS to tell for sure but it is real similar to S-05, maybe not different enough to bother with the extra cost. Maybe use 97 in the summer when my fermentor temps are on the edge of ester. Brewed a APA last night with 97 and its starting to ferment right now in under 24 hours. I never rehyrate, just throw the yeast in the bottom of the fermentor.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #85
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

pitched this yesterday afternoon around 4 PM Eastern in my 1.056 pale ale and still no signs of fermentation; the fermenter is in the basement with an ambient temp of 64-66 degrees. I rehydrated per the package instructions before pitching. How long would you wait to pitch another pack if no signs of fermentation begin?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #86
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
pitched this yesterday afternoon around 4 PM Eastern in my 1.056 pale ale and still no signs of fermentation; the fermenter is in the basement with an ambient temp of 64-66 degrees. I rehydrated per the package instructions before pitching. How long would you wait to pitch another pack if no signs of fermentation begin?
I'd bet my left foot that it'll get started, but I wouldn't wait more than 48 hours.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #87
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgarlic

I'd bet my left foot that it'll get started, but I wouldn't wait more than 48 hours.
I respectfully disagree. My batch took longer than 48 to really take off.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #88
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

So which do you disagree with, that I'd bet my left foot or that I wouldn't wait more than 48 hours?

Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #89
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lol. Yeah sorry, I see how that could be misunderstood! I would give it 4 days, depending on ambient temp. I had a very slow start. Is have to check my notes, but my Amber too over 4 days to get going good. I have no doubt that you'd bet your left foot! My left has always been my least favorite foot...

Old 10-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #90
khugs21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't worry, can you increase temp? If so raise it to about 70f. How long has it been?

Quick Reply