Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #71
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I pitched some Notty into a Blonde around the time I pitched this BRY-97 into my DIPA. The BRY-97 was significantly darker than the Nottingham. I assume if compared, most strains will be slightly different in color, and I imagine if you mutate a strain over continued usage it may change in color from the initial pitch... Where's the biologists to chime in???

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #72
jlpred55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used this yeast 3 times now. First was a West Coast Style Red hopped to the bejesus with Nelson Sauvin. The yeast took about 48 hrs to get rocking at 65F. Worked fairly quickly but it didn't floc any better than US-05, beer is ok at this point, no yeast flavor and fairly dry. Beer #2 was a Pumpkin Ale. Repitched a 16oz slurry from the previous beer. Blew off on day 3-4 then was done and dropped bright in a matter of days. Gravity sampled at 10 days revealed a bright beer with a neutral yeast flavor and good overall, again fermented at 65F. The last one was a big American Stout 1.075. Repitched, pretty much the same behavior as the previous pitch, started fast and ended fast with blow off, beer is 4 weeks old and tastes awesome.

Definately better performing and floc characteristics after the intial pitch. For my money I'll stick to repitching US-05 or other liquid strains. The BRY-97 is good though, just not much different than other yeasts I use and love.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #73
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Pitched it, rehydrated, into a 60 degree, 1.050 APA wort on Saturday and let it rise to 68, where I've held it. Krausen began to form after 26 hours. Since then it's been a blizzard in the carboy with an incredibly turbulent active fermentation.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #74
khugs21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used it on a rye ipa fermented at 74. I know a little war and it was pretty fruity and it would not floc out even with a 3 cold crash. It did however take it from 1.060 to 1.012 in only 4 days. Im going to experiment with it a little more at a lower temp and maybe use some gelatin to help it clear a bit.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #75
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khugs21
I used it on a rye ipa fermented at 74. I know a little war and it was pretty fruity and it would not floc out even with a 3 cold crash. It did however take it from 1.060 to 1.012 in only 4 days. Im going to experiment with it a little more at a lower temp and maybe use some gelatin to help it clear a bit.
I wouldn't go any lower than 64 on it. I tried lower temps, and it completely stalled out, but I was hovering about 60. I have an amber that is bottle conditioned. Sample tasted sweet and strange, hoping it scene out in the next 2 weeks of carbing. I didn't bother keeping the cake. Might use it in the summer at higher temps, but for approximately the same money, I'd rather go safale 05, it has always treated me well! But its your beer, have fun and good luck!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #76
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I finally transferred the 2 batches yesterday morning.
Both the US-05 and the BRY-97 finished @ 1.010.
The Bry-97 was clearer. It also had a smell like Rye toast and oddly, Pineapple.
I only got a yeasty smell from the 05
Both are kegged and I'll check them in about a week for taste.
Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
The 2 batches I have going are definitely finished, I just don't have anywhere to go with them.
I have 1 keg open and 6 others in rotation. The IIPA is the least full, but at 9% it's a slow go.
As soon as I free up a keg, I'll finish them up.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #77
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
I finally transferred the 2 batches yesterday morning.
Both the US-05 and the BRY-97 finished @ 1.010.
The Bry-97 was clearer. It also had a smell like Rye toast and oddly, Pineapple.
I only got a yeasty smell from the 05
Both are kegged and I'll check them in about a week for taste.
Bull
Eager to hear about it. I get a yeasty smell from S05 too, it takes a long time to clear. I don't mind the smell but I wished it floc'd better. All things equal if Bry-97 clears better it might be worth using if you can handle the slow start.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #78
fnord
I make Belgians
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Glad to see this and that I'm not the only one who had slow starts. The first time I tried it I rehydrated per Danstar's instructions and pitched into 60F wort, I held the temp between 62F and 63F and ended up repitching s-05 after 84 hours.

Second try I pitched dry and gave it 48 hours at 64F with no visible signs before raising the temp to 68 for 12 hours, finally got some krausen forming and lowered the temp back to 64. 2.5 or 3 weeks and I'll see how I like the resulting beer.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #79
treehousebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Drinking a galaxy hopped APA fermented with this strain @68. Cleared out very nicely, definitely an American-style ale yeast. I get a little more mineral/fruity flavor profile than US-05 but it works well with this style. They're definitely different and considering I'm one of the few people who has had no stalling problems with this one I'd blame it on the fact that it's a new product and Danstar is still working out the production kinks. My advice is to keep it in the high 60s, and there won't be any trouble. It's a different yeast from US-05, so don't expect it to act the same.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #80
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I used this strain on an India Black Ale I made (Brewer's Best kit), and the results are delicious. It's actually my favorite beer I've made so far; I don't know how much that has to do with the Bry-97, but the results were damn good. Definitely doing this recipe again in the future.

Cheers

__________________________________________________ _
Primaries: Belgian Honey Wit, White House Honey Ale
Secondaries: Scottish Wee Heavy, Devil's Milk barleywine
Bottled: Ex-Pat 1800 historic English Pale Ale
Drinking: Nefarious Blonde, Pumpkin Spice Porter, India Black Ale

Quick Reply