Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #51
bullinachinashop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The 2 batches I have going are definitely finished, I just don't have anywhere to go with them.
I have 1 keg open and 6 others in rotation. The IIPA is the least full, but at 9% it's a slow go.
As soon as I free up a keg, I'll finish them up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #52
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I'm planning 10g of amber soon. I usually use US-05, but will split into two and try this 'new' yeast. Pics and tasting notes in a few months!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #53
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Interested in hearing the results of tasting in a few weeks.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #54
treehousebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I pitched the BRY-97 dry onto a 3 gal. batch of keeler's CDA @ 1.060 late friday night and saw vigorous activity this morning (Sunday). I'm maintaining temperature of 68-69. The rehydrated batch I pitched onto the APA 11 days ago is still doing its work. Pushed out bubbles till maybe 3 days ago. Looking forward to see how it flocs out once it decides it's finished.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #55
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had started another thread ( "My experience with nottingham bry 97"), but was informed this one was already running. I tried it for the first time last week with Yooper's fat sam. Slow starter, and does not lit anything a hair below 59 ambient temp. It is going strong now, sticky thermometer says temp is at 68 and glad I used a blowoff, because krausen is about two inches into tube.... Wish I had used a transparent fermenter so I could really see it...

Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #56
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
Tasted my sample of American Amber ale.

Hit 1.013 FG (sample still had some co2 in solution, so it could be lower)

Tasted like a clean ferment, and slightly dry, and with .5lb or so or brown sugar in the recipe, it should be a drier amber ale. Should get kegged within a week or so and put on tap 2 days after that.

At this point early in the tasting/beer process, I can't see why I'd buy this over us05. I'm still reserving final judgment until after this beer is kegged and carbed.
Finally had a keg kick and a tap opened up, so after the third day or so of force carbing, this beer, although perfectly carbed is still quite green. The grain bill is similiar to NB's American Amber Ale but with 5% brown sugar subbed in for base malt, and hop bursted with Zythos hops - .25oz 40 min, 1 oz 20, 1oz 15min, 1 oz 5 min.

FG read 1.013 but this beer feels waaaayy drier than that, like 1.009 which could have actually closer to actual FG as I'm not sure if residual co2 threw the reading, or maybe the yeast was still active at 2 weeks into primary- although I doubt it.

Either way, this beer, while drinkable and clean, is pretty "..meh..." At this point. It tastes boring and smells boring. There is some slight caramel malt in the nose and almost no hops, same goes for the taste. Truth be told, the Zythos hop blend has been less than stellar anyway thus far, but I expected a bit more to come through given how many I used, and had previously tried them in a Zythos Summer Bitter and although the hop character of the blend was less pungent than I wanted, what character was there came through much better in that beer, even when using an English Ale yeast (wyeast 1469).

I'll go back to us05 for the next beer and see what happens, but at this point, I still can't see any reason to choose this yeast over us05, but would recommend anyone else try it just because. I'll try it again in another proven hoppy ale recipe just in the name of experimentation, but I doubt we need another dry Chico ale yeast. My .02

Edited to add****

- Just pulled 12 oz of this beer and let it warm some, as I'd left it alone for a few days wondering how it was going to change. Well this beer is changing, and clearing, but not in the visual clarity sense, but more in the flavor and aroma. The beer tastes clearer and cleaner with more hop character coming to the forefront than even two days ago. I'm picking up that familiar Chico hop push that's typical of the strain, which previously hadn't shown up using this bry-97. So far, I'm starting to like this beer more and more. We'll see.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #57
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Let me reiterate, glad I used a blowoff. Opened my chamber before work and top of ale pale is covered in krausen. It may be a slow starter, but vigorous when going. Ambient temp is about 68. Has anyone really noticed a diminished hop character yet? If so, is this still evident with dry-hopping? Thanks.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #58
BAJones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pitched this dry on a low gravity IPA, started fermenting in a few hours, when I rehydrated and pitched it, it took nearly 48 hours to get going. Looking forward to testing the red ale from about 3 weeks ago, currently in bottles so in a few weeks I'll have a first taste sample.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #59
atun53
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I used it on my house porter and its drier and knocked the hop character down quite a bit compared to usual. Gravities were the same, so I'll attribute it to the yeast. I also made an India Brown Ale that was 65 ibu per beersmith and its completely mute. I like the temp ranges, but us-05 is a better choice for me.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #60
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJones
Pitched this dry on a low gravity IPA, started fermenting in a few hours, when I rehydrated and pitched it, it took nearly 48 hours to get going. Looking forward to testing the red ale from about 3 weeks ago, currently in bottles so in a few weeks I'll have a first taste sample.
I am curious of the results too on an ipa. If it "eats" hop flavor as I hear, I'd like to drop some hops in to compensate, but don't want to waste time or money on dry hopping if it still eats after initial fermentation.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS