Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #411
signpost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 453

I'm finally getting around to brewing with this yeast again. I harvested 2 jars of yeast when I first used it. Since that was 4 months ago, I decided to use both jars in the starter I made this morning just to be sure I had enough viable yeast - btw, saving wort from a previous batch made it super quick getting this starter going.

Anyway, about 12 hours later, the starter is super active and will definitely be ready for my brew day tomorrow. I'll be sure to post an update on how the fermentation goes over the next few days. I suspect I won't have the lag issues that most have experienced when pitching new/fresh packs of this yeast.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #412
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

some things I like about this yeast- strong hops flavor and aroma in my IPAs, and fermenting "clean"ly at 65-75 degrees.

However, using the packages and then the yeast slurry in several batches shows this yeast so slow to clear that it makes S05 look flocculant. I'm use to clear beer by day 15 or so, and this yeast does not produce that at all for me.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #413
signpost
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
some things I like about this yeast- strong hops flavor and aroma in my IPAs, and fermenting "clean"ly at 65-75 degrees.

However, using the packages and then the yeast slurry in several batches shows this yeast so slow to clear that it makes S05 look flocculant. I'm use to clear beer by day 15 or so, and this yeast does not produce that at all for me.
I remember noticing that when I used it before. I don't care much about how long it takes to clear in the fermenter. But I like a yeast that stays nice and compact in the bottle when I pour it.

I used Wyeast 1272 for the first time recently and really liked the way it behaved. If this batch doesn't beat out the 1272 in that category, I might have decided on a 'house' strain for American pales and IPAs.
Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #414
signpost
Recipes 

Well, the starter took off and was finished within 24 hours. I pitched it a little warm (~76°F) and it took off again. Less than 6 hours after pitching, the airlock is rocking and it is at 72°F.

I'm sure the slightly warm temp is helping it move along, but also having tons of fresh yeast from the starter did the job. Either tomorrow or the next day I'll be adding a little sugar. I'm guessing that will ensure a solid attenuation.

So, harvesting this yeast works fine, even after letting it sit in the fridge for 4 months. None of the lag issues I had the first time around.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #415
jimjart
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just kegged a pale ale I made 10 days ago. OG was 1.050 and final is right on 1.010 or 1.008 hard to read
I calculated 43Ibu's. while tasting warm flat beer can be deceiving I have I say it tasted better going in than out.
Hopefully when it's cold and carbonated up it will taste better.
Fermented between 68-70 degrees.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 AM   #416
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I like this yeast. I used it in a few dry stouts. Clears well, fermented slowly. It has more yeast character than 1056.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #417
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 156

"Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17 °C."---Lallemand

44 hours and all is calm at 17.8 *C:

img_20141027_081735_012.jpg

I am not amused.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #418
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I'm at about 36 hours in with nothing as well. Wort temp is 18 deg c.

-If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it.
-I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was!
-Not a big fan of beer.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #419
alefort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My second brew with this yeast went very differently than the first. I had no signs of fermentation until 45 hours in last time, from a dry packet.

This time I made a starter with yeast I had harvested 3 months earlier. This time I had active fermentation in 8 hours, and everything was done within 5 days.

What a yeast, it seems so unpredictable.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:01 AM   #420
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefort View Post
My second brew with this yeast went very differently than the first. I had no signs of fermentation until 45 hours in last time, from a dry packet.

This time I made a starter with yeast I had harvested 3 months earlier. This time I had active fermentation in 8 hours, and everything was done within 5 days.

What a yeast, it seems so unpredictable.
That actually lines up with experiences I've read: re-pitches start quickly, but the dry seems to take a while to wake up. Hopefully that's it and not low viability in the dry packs.

I came home today at the 54 hour mark and had a thin krausen.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS