Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone try BRY-97 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #241
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
24 hrs post pitch. US05 is chugging along nicely. Not full rock n roll but it has about an inch of krausen and is bubbling steadily into the blow off.

As of yet, nothing from the BRY97.

Both fermenters reading 65-66f on the therm strips. So far, BRY97 is behaving consistent with what a lot of people have experienced in terms of lag.
Sometime between when I went to bed last night at 10:30, and when I checked on the beer this morning, 7 am, the BRY97 developed a small krausen. There is still no positive pressure through my blow off tube, but I have about 1/4 inch of krausen on the BRY97 beer.

The US05 has about a 2 inch krausen and is going strong.

Both beers are registering between 66-68F on the stick on thermometers. I'm going to call lag on the BRY97 30-34 hours. I am sure there was fermentation going on before I saw the krausen. But it definitely lagged about a half day (or a little more) behind the US05

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #242
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin

Sometime between when I went to bed last night at 10:30, and when I checked on the beer this morning, 7 am, the BRY97 developed a small krausen. There is still no positive pressure through my blow off tube, but I have about 1/4 inch of krausen on the BRY97 beer.

The US05 has about a 2 inch krausen and is going strong.

Both beers are registering between 66-68F on the stick on thermometers. I'm going to call lag on the BRY97 30-34 hours. I am sure there was fermentation going on before I saw the krausen. But it definitely lagged about a half day (or a little more) behind the US05
That was exactly my experience, even without rehydrating. Then 10-12 hours later it was going strong and had shockingly gotten up to 72F... 12 more hours and the bubbling was all but gone. Now I'm just letting it sit on the yeast cake another couple days to clean up, then cold crash and keg.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #243
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

As of this morning, both beers are going strong. The krausen on the US05 is what I typically see. Dense, almost like whipped cream. There is a thin tan layer on the top that I normally get with my US05 fermentations. It's pushing gas through the blow off tube pretty strongly.

The BRY97 is more "frothy" or bubbly. I was in a hurry this morning and didn't grab a pic. But if the krausens look the same this evening, I will post pics. The BRY97 has filled the space above the beer, up to the neck of the better bottle. It is not as dense as the US05. While it is off-gassing, it does not appear to be pushing the same volume of air the US05 is.

When I got home last night, the temperature on the US05 had ramped up to just a touch over 70F. The BRY97 was sitting at 68F. I draped a wet t-shirt over each and turned on the vent fan in the bathroom I have them sitting in. Over a period of about 3 hrs, I'd brought the US05 to 68F and the BRY97 to 66F. I'd wanted to keep the US05 a little warmer than I usually do to avoid that fruity/peachy flavor that it can sometimes develop if fermented too cold.

As of this morning, they were both still sitting at 68 and 66F respectively and going strong.

One decision I have to make on this beer is dry hopping. I already have 4 ounces of Citra in this beer (an ounce each at 45, 20, 10 and an ounce whirlpooled at 170F for 15 min after knockout). I have one more ounce of Citra and am not certain whether I want to keg hop or not. I am thinking dry hopping may further cloud any subtle aroma differences between these 2 beers when I keg them.

I may just put them on the gas as is, carb up, and do a taste test for a side-by-side on the 2 yeasts. Then drop a half ounce of the last of the Citra on each to polish them up for the long haul.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #244
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I pitched 2 packets of rehydrated BRY-97 into a 10 gal Ranger IPA clone (2 Better Bottles) at 1.065, Sunday at 2:45pm. It is cool in the basement and both fermenters were at 62F. Nothing doing, no krausen, just a few random bubbles at 40hr mark. Warmed them using an electric space heater controlled by a BCS-460 (2 temp probes attached to BCS tapes to side of fermenters covered in bubble wrap) to 68F and both took off with an hour. Now close to 48hr mark and both seem to be going strong.

I think I will use BRY-97 during the warmer summer months when temps in the basement are warmer.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #245
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22
I pitched 2 packets of rehydrated BRY-97 into a 10 gal Ranger IPA clone (2 Better Bottles) at 1.065, Sunday at 2:45pm. It is cool in the basement and both fermenters were at 62F. Nothing doing, no krausen, just a few random bubbles at 40hr mark. Warmed them using an electric space heater controlled by a BCS-460 (2 temp probes attached to BCS tapes to side of fermenters covered in bubble wrap) to 68F and both took off with an hour. Now close to 48hr mark and both seem to be going strong.

I think I will use BRY-97 during the warmer summer months when temps in the basement are warmer.
That sounds like a good plan. I think someone posted earlier this week that Morebeer or one of the other large outlets tested with this yeast and found it clean up to 75F.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #246
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

This yeast does like it warmer, thats why I think it's a great suggestion for new brewers to use. They are less likely to control temps well, and this will allow some wiggle room to make a good beer in the end.

Aside from the lag, and the length of time it seems for the krausen to drop.. Once it drops, it's clears pretty well. Better than US05, and while it's cloudier longer I think, the end result, is a more brilliant looking beer once I serve it on tap.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #247
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin

That sounds like a good plan. I think someone posted earlier this week that Morebeer or one of the other large outlets tested with this yeast and found it clean up to 75F.
Northern Brewer

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #248
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher

Northern Brewer
Don't hate me 'cause I am too lazy to scroll up

Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #249
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default better late than never...

Preface:
I work in the LHBS and get things free like old cans of LME or special run/test items. I try hard to use them while I am working a full shift in the store for obvious reasons.

We just got this yeast in and I wanted to try it. I was gifted 2 cans of Briess golden light LME and 2# of steeping grains. I had Pacific Gem hops that needed to be used (never used PG hops before) so I made up a hoppy pale ale. The wort smelled great while I was brewing it. I plan to add blackberries with the last oz of hops into the serving keg while I force carb it.

The beer was brewed Monday the 4th. I allowed the temp to stabilize overnight (I over chilled it which gave me a GREAT cold break and clear wort!) and then pitched the yeast, dry, into the wort the next evening. I am also fermenting this under pressure so I can see how the yeast like the 12-15psi range, which is how I make most of my ales. So about 12 hours in and have no positive pressure showing on the gauge but I am not concerned as others have had slow starts as well... Will report back as there are things to report.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #250
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have been drinking my two hearted clone fermented with this, it isnt bad, I am doing a batch now with us05 to compare, the aroma may be lacking slightly, but it won't keep me from drinking this.

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 1: Citrarillo IPA
Primary 2: Big Baltic Porter
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Quick Reply